Closes: Sunday, July 31, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited program in library or information science, AND
- One to three experience in a library, academic libraries preferred.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Library instruction experience, including classroom instruction, and familiarity with the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy.
- Experience providing exceptional service to a diverse clientele.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work both independently and collegially on a team in a demanding and rapidly changing environment.
- Familiarity with copyright law as it pertains to OER and libraries.
- Capacity to thrive in an agile, future-oriented environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in virtual instruction.
- Experience creating asynchronous instructional content (e.g. tutorials, instructional videos, online courses, etc.).
- Demonstrated familiarity with OER and services related to open and affordable course content, open access, and open licensing.
- Awareness of accessibility requirements for websites and digital sources.
- Experience with Blackboard or another Learning Management System.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Instructional Services Librarian leads Central Carolina Community College’s Library and Information Literacy instructional services, both online and for seated classes. The person in this role is responsible for delivering synchronous and asynchronous online instructional content for students; developing a consistent learning scaffold based on best practices and emerging research in instructional design; promoting the instruction program; Scheduling and overseeing instruction by other library professionals; and measuring and reporting on the program’s impact. This person will also work as part of an inter-departmental team to facilitate the college’s commitment to OER. Additionally, this position will provide regular virtual and in-person reference services and circulation assistance, and collaborate on programming and events for the Lee county campus library.
This position is open until filled.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
Instruction and Reference Services
- Design comprehensive library and information literacy instruction based on information gathered from assessments, faculty feedback, student interactions, and outreach to other institutions.
- Develop asynchronous online tutorials for information literacy and library resources to be embedded on the library’s website or in curriculum courses within the college LMS.
- Embed in online classes to provide point-of-need library help and instruction as requested by faculty.
- Utilize interactive teaching methods to provide instructional sessions based on the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy in live, synchronous classes, both virtually and in a seated classroom environment.
- Work with the Director of Distance Education to develop new instructional tools that integrate fully into the college’s LMS.
- Develop and deliver training sessions virtually and in person to faculty and staff.
- Promote the instruction program to faculty.
- Gather data on student learning and work with library staff to assess growth and identify areas for improvement.
- Provide virtual and in-person reference services as needed, and in tandem with instructional sessions for classes.
Programming & Outreach
- Identify needs and opportunities for library engagement with campus and community library users and potential users and work with programming assistant to develop events targeting these users.
- Work with Lee Early College Faculty to provide library related programming for High School students, including the LEC book club and Library Orientations for Aviso classes.
- Work with the Outreach and Assessment Librarian and the Early College Liaisons to provide the ACRL Framework Bridge program to high school juniors.
Open Educational Resources
- Work with instructional designers to guide faculty in the discovery, identification, creation, adoption, and assessment of open and affordable course content.
- Identify resources and materials for purchase by the library that may positively impact learning affordability.
- Provide training and professional development related to OER and other learning affordability measures to faculty and other college staff.
- Work at the circulation desk as scheduled or needed.
- Create student photo IDs and manage technical aspects of ID software (BadgePass).
- Assist in managing study room reservations in the LibCal system.
- Work with the Associate Director of Learning Resources in selecting and deselecting physical library materials and ebooks in assigned sections.
- Assist students in the use of library equipment, computers, software, and other resources.
- Open the Library at least one day a week, with occasional closing hours as needed.
- Provide support for library staff at other campuses as needed.
- Serve on college committees as assigned.
- Present at professional conferences and engage with outside professional organizations.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Perform other library duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Learning Resources.
- Recognizing and respecting the variety of experiences and contributions represented by all of our students, employees, and community, the Instructional Services Librarian will encourage a learning environment where everyone is supported and valued for their unique perspectives and experiences and will foster and promote the participation of all members of our diverse communities.