Rocky Mount, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, May 31, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s in biology or closely related field plus 18 graduate hours in biology is required. Candidates must have graduate course hours for Anatomy and Physiology or documented professional development and qualifying experience in Anatomy and Physiology. Preferred candidates will demonstrate a willingness to implement strategies for engaging online learners.
Responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimal learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, developing curriculum courses that support a comprehensive online science curriculum, demonstrating and modeling employability and professionalism skills, maintaining collaborative, respectful working relationships, providing effective instruction consistent with established objectives, effective advisement of students, accurate and timely record keeping and reporting, on-going curriculum and course assessment and improvement, supporting college and program administrative requirements, and maintaining competency and current knowledge in natural sciences. Position includes instruction in both the traditional and online environments. Additional responsibilities include working with Digital Teaching and Learning to provide best practices in the online environment and contribute to the improvement to the online courses holistically campus wide.
*** 10 month position***
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding, commitment and adherence to the mission, philosophy, policies and guidelines of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS), Nash Community College.
- Provide effective learning experiences for students using a variety of teaching methods, contribute to the development and implementation of student-centered education, utilize available educational resources for the improvement of instruction and creation of teaching material, and demonstrate the ability to work with students based on the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) in an effort to increase student retention, success, and completion.
- Assist in the development and revision of course outlines, syllabi, curriculum plans, learning objectives, program assessment and evaluation, and other instructional documentation required to meet program objectives, provide students at the beginning of each course an ADA compliant syllabus which identifies measurable learning objectives and expected student outcomes following a designated and approved template from NCC, and coordinate with the Department Chair the submission of course syllabi to the designated College representative prior to the course being taught.
- Have instructional plans prepared for each class session in accordance with stated objectives of the course and implement on-going curriculum/course assessment and improvement.
- Enforce College policy and procedures and comply with all other institutional and professional rules and regulations related to classroom and laboratory instruction and general employment.
- Schedule regular student conference hours, be available out of class to students requiring additional assistance, and serve as curriculum student advisor as assigned and as otherwise requested or needed by College representatives and individual students.
- Support institutional and program endeavors by participating in registration and recruitment activities, program Advisory Committee meetings, student organizations and community outreach activities, community partnership initiatives, College committee assignments and meetings, graduation/recognition ceremonies and other special appointments, including events outside typical working hours for the position.
- Maintain office, classroom, and student records, assess on a regular basis the performance of students, and process reports, forms, attendance and other required documentation accurately and timely in collaboration with the Department Chair in support of College and program strategic planning and assessment initiatives.
- Assist the Department Chair and College administration in the safeguarding of inventory and identification, preview and acquisition of educational resources needed to support the delivery of a comprehensive curriculum.
- Participate in on-going training related to current discipline, technology, and instructional quality through on and off campus professional development opportunities supporting College, program and individually developed professional development plans.
- Maintain proper communication and supportive relations with students, colleagues and community partners and provide assistance to carry out respective functions.
- Assume other necessary responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the Department Chair or College administration in meeting the mission of the institution.
- Meet the physical demands (with or without reasonable accommodations) of a natural science educator: ability to stand, walk and engage in the classroom and/or lab environment for up to three (3) hours with minimal rest opportunity; visual and hearing acuity to accurately measure, assess, and document student performance; gross and fine motor abilities to perform required job functions of a natural science educator.
- Exhibit institutional values of professionalism by demonstrating the following attributes and behaviors: display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal, and non-verbal communications; work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, individual and collaborative problem-solving, and honest communication; build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even during incidences of high stress or demanding workplace conditions; dress appropriately within College guidelines or as appropriately indicated for situational activities; meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety and maintain a clean and orderly work environment.
- Participate in professional development activities provided by NCC.
- Participate in College events and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned which contribute to the efficient and effective operation of NCC.
- Serve on various committees as assigned.
- Participate in and support ongoing assessment, planning and evaluation to improve student learning.