Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, April 26, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Must have a minimum of a Master’s degree in English or related discipline with 18 graduate hours in English. (Teaching/education course work is not accepted, even with ENG pre-fix.);
2. Must have teaching experience in higher education;
3. Must have experience with scaffolded writing instruction;
4. Must have experience teaching using a learning management system, such as Moodle or Blackboard;
5. Must have experience advising students.
1. Experience teaching at a community college.
2. Two years of full-time or equivalent experience teaching developmental courses.
3. Experience teaching students with different learning abilities and styles.
4. Experience with video conferencing (i.e. Zoom).
5. Experience teaching various classroom formats (hybrid, on-line, synchronous on-line, emporium, self-paced, traditional).
6. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
This position provides instruction in English and advising for students pursuing the Associate of Arts.
1. Maintains mastery of subject matter.
2. Develops and/or teaches courses for which the appropriate credential is held.
3. Teaches in various formats, various locations, and via various delivery methods, including RISE and high school students.
4. Advises students.
5. Serves as lead advisor and editor for non-fiction online STEM journal, The Hellbender.
6. Adheres to policies, procedures, expectations, and practices of the College, the department, and the discipline.
7. Communicates clearly with students, other faculty, and staff.
8. Contributes to a safe and secure campus environment.
9. Enforces Code of Classroom Conduct and Code of Student Conduct.
10. Assists with program reviews, program accreditation, and SACSCOC accreditation as appropriate.
11. Attends meetings and events and actively participates on committees and task forces.
12. Attends the annual commencement ceremony.
13. Upholds the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
14. Supports diversity in all aspects.
15. Establishes or upholds learning outcomes that are relevant and meaningful.
16. Evaluates student progress in a fair, consistent, and timely manner.
17. Develops, prepares, and/or delivers all levels of curriculum English courses.
18. Completes required professional development annually.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.