COA - Elizabeth City and/or COA - Dare
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, January 5, 2024
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree in Philosophy or master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours of Philosophy from a regionally accredited college or university.
College of The Albemarle welcomes applications from individuals interested in an adjunct (part-time) Instructor, Philosophy position. Part-time and/or substitute instructor appointments are made on a semester-by-semester and/or as needed basis. Positions are not benefit eligible. The candidate should have the ability to accommodate a flexible working schedule and limited travel within the service area. This job posting will serve as a pool of applicants from which the hiring manager may consult as needs arise.
Applicants must complete the online application in its entirety, including an unofficial copy of their college transcript.
Applications will remain active for 12 months.
Current Vacancy Locations: COA - Elizabeth City and/or COA - Dare
The role of the Part-Time Instructor, Philosophy is to provide knowledge in his/her field of expertise and to promote various student-centered learning activities that will stimulate an interest in critical thinking and a desire for life-long learning. Various teaching strategies, learning styles, and delivery methods, including new technology systems, will be utilized to reach this goal.
The Part-Time Instructor, Philosophy receives supervision from the Department Chair, Humanities and Fine Arts.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares, teaches and evaluates assigned instructional courses.
- Updates course syllabi to reflect changes.
- Develops supplemental teaching materials to augment courses.
- Implements new teaching strategies as appropriate.
- Evaluates textbooks for relevancy, quality and currency, making recommendations as necessary per established policy.
- Maintains accurate records of students' attendance and performance.
- Submits reports in accurate and timely manner.
- Adheres to assigned teaching load/hours.
- Integrates new technology in instructional delivery methods.
- Supplies information/data for the annual department budget based on stated goals.
- Adheres to/enforces policies and procedures related to academic area.
- Keeps students advised of their progress in class.
- Writes letters of recommendations for students on request if appropriate.
- Stays abreast of new developments and changes in academic field.
- Adheres to college's policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.