Closes: Thursday, September 1, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- BA/BS in Biology with experience in general chemistry through organic chemistry OR BA/BS in Chemistry with experience in general biology, microbiology, anatomy and physiology
- Master’s degree in Biology or Chemistry
- At least one year of teaching experience in the community college setting
- At least one year of professional experience in a laboratory setting
- Fluency in a foreign language, preferably Spanish.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Lab Facilitator, Sciences reports directly to the Department Head, Sciences/Health/Physical Education. Lab Facilitator, Sciences provides quality learning experiences, facilitates the learning process through teaching and lab preparation, maintains Science labs and inventory, seeks professional development opportunities, and contributes to the development of curriculum courses/programs.
- Prepare materials for science labs each week.
- Take down and set up between labs; make sure lab is ready for the next instructor
- Responsible for ordering science lab materials
- Responsible for assembling kits for online courses
- Responsible for routine maintenance and cleaning of lab equipment and setting up outside maintenance when necessary
- Maintaining MSDS/SDSs for the labs
- Maintaining neat and orderly labs; inventory; equipment directions
- Coordinate with instructors what materials are needed for weekly labs
- Assist in practical examination set-up and disassembly
- Fill-in for instructor (lecture and/or lab) when necessary
- Develop lab protocols for each course
- Teach all assigned courses (9-12 hours) for the full duration of scheduled instruction.
- Troubleshoot and revise problematic laboratory assignments for all disciplines as requested by instructors
- Ensure that each class session contains essential curricular components, has appropriate content and pedagogy, and maintains currency
- Evaluate student progress and provide appropriate, timely feedback
- Incorporate appropriate instructional technology to enhance student learning
- Provide and/or facilitate quality experiences in laboratory and/or clinical settings to meet program needs
- Maintain cleanliness of instructional areas and laboratories
- Ensure the proper operation of classroom/lab equipment, reporting any malfunctions to the appropriate person(s)
- Recommend textbooks and other instructional materials, including classroom and laboratory equipment to Department Head
- Develop and distribute course syllabi according to established template providing appropriate information to students concerning course expectations and evaluation criteria
Other Services to Students
- Assist in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College
- Advocate and provide motivation for students
- Communicate student needs to Department Head
Divisional Administrative Expectations
- Prepare and submit instructional records, reports, grades, and all other required paperwork in a timely, efficient manner meeting all deadlines, checking for accuracy, correctness and completeness of all data
- Exert an effort to remain current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as feasible
- Participate in program and curriculum review; offering suggestions concerning the improvement of curriculum in keeping with the mission and vision of the College
- Serve on and actively contribute to college committees as needed and as appointed by the President
- Participate in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other announced co-curricular activities of the College
- Maintain proper communication and supportive relationships at all times with all other units and branches of the college
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations, as well as to meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College
COLLEGE REQUIREMENTS OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equal opportunity, and the academic, intellectual, and social development of all students and employees.
- An understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy and mission.
- Treats others respectfully, speaks to others courteously, and behaves in such a way that creates a workplace environment that is marked by trustworthiness, honest but polite communication, and interpersonal interactions that are both personally cordial and professionally appropriate.
- Acts as a team player when working with any and all employees of the College.
- Serves on institutional committees as appointed by the President.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Annually review all Randolph Community College safety rules and policies and be familiar with all emergency safety procedures. Promote good safety habits and be compliant with OSHA safety regulations.
- Randolph Community College conducts a background check and drug screening on all full-time new hires.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Melanie L. Avelino
Director of Human Resources
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205