- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, June 10, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field.
- Or an equivalent combination of higher education and experience will be considered.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of basic lab instrumentation and equipment.
- Knowledge of current laboratory safety protocols, safe chemical and biological storage and proper disposal procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with science instructors and convey information.
- Ability to work professionally and courteously with faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, on multiple campuses, and 1 -2 evenings per week, if necessary.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Should be familiar with basic lab equipment, autoclave, etc. Used weekly.
- Master’s degree or 18 graduate hours in Biology or related field.
- Previous experience as a laboratory assistant in a college or industrial setting.
- Experience teaching community college courses or lab or other relevant experience in education.
- Bachelor’s or minor in Chemistry or other relevant Chemistry lab experience.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Laboratory Facilitator and Lab Instructor position is temporary full-time through April 2022. It is located primarily on the Lee Main campus in Sanford, NC, with some travel to the Chatham Main and Health Science campuses (Pittsboro, NC) and Harnett Main and Health Science campuses (Lillington, NC). The successful candidate will facilitate all aspects of OER (open education resource) lab kit construction and distribution for general and non-majors biology, instruct Biology labs; help coordinate science laboratories in the areas of Biology and assist with preparation for lab activities.
Additionally, the candidate will assist with lab safety plans and updates, as needed, on multiple campuses. Lab Instruction will comprise approximately 50% of the duties for this position, OER lab kit production/distribution and seated lab coordination/assistance/safety will comprise 50% of the duties for this position. The successful candidate must have knowledge of general laboratory practices in biology and chemistry labs for multiple undergraduate level courses and must be able to work independently.
Expected to travel to Chatham and Harnett campuses on a regular basis. Note that travel between campuses is compensated based on mileage.
Salary depends on education and experience.
Bachelor's Degree salary range: $40,371-$50,571
Master's Degree salary range: $42,382-$52,541
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Establish and maintain OER lab kit supply inventory.
- Order OER kit items as required.
- Prepare and pack lab kit items.
- Arrange for kit distribution, including in-person and mailed kits.
- Establish a system for lab kit return, cleaning and return to inventory.
- Assist lab book authors with maintenance and distribution of written materials.
- Teach 3 biology or anatomy and physiology labs per semester, depending on qualifications.
- Communicate effectively across campuses for instructional support in biology labs, as needed.
- Inventory labs on all campuses and maintain inventory log.
- Order lab supplies as needed to maintain inventory.
- Assist full-time and adjunct instructor with preparing and setting up labs.
- Coordinate textbook and lab course material, as requested by instructors.
- Communicate OSHA safety requirements in all Biology, Chemistry and Physics lab settings and communicate concerns with faculty, science lead instructor and department chair.
- Manage waste and chemical disposal for biology and chemistry labs.
- Participate in professional development opportunity as offered and recommended by Science Department Lead Instructor
- Additional duties, as required.