Wilkes Community College, Wilkesboro, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, July 23, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Masters degree and a minimum of 18 graduate hours in engineering.
- 18 graduate hours in mathematics.
- Experience teaching experience at the community college level.
An Instructor’s primary responsibility is to maintain excellence in instructing students in his/her curriculum subject with the express goal of attaining certain student learning outcomes. This is a full-time, 9-month position. The faculty member must instruct assigned courses in engineering in accordance with NCCCS curriculum standards and course descriptions in addition to the standards and guidelines set forth by the program accreditation entity.
A reasonable and equitable teaching load will be agreed upon by the Lead Instructor and the Departmental Chairperson (in concert with the Division Dean or Campus Director) and will include various kinds of responsibilities such as traditional classroom instruction, distance education instruction, academic advising, committee service, professional development, curriculum development and administrative duties related to these responsibilities. Instructors may be assigned teaching duties at the Wilkes or Ashe Campus or the Alleghany Center. The full-time Instructor reports directly to the Department Chairperson or Dean of the Division.
WCC views faculty members as learning-facilitators who actively engage students in the learning process. The instructor and the students are participants in a joint classroom endeavor to provide for effective learning outcomes. The syllabus (combined with portions of the college catalog) acts as the primary contractual agreement between the Instructor and the Students. While maintaining a minimum of 40 hours per week on college assignments, the Instructor is not required to spend 40 hours per week on campus. However, the Instructor should be at his/her duty station a minimum of two hours per day for five days per week. Generally, Instructor contact (classroom) hours range from 18-25 but may total fewer or greater hours with up to 30 hours in specific instances.
The position is contingent upon available funding and approval of NC State Budget.
- Being generally familiar with the North Carolina Community College System Combined Course Library and Curriculum Standards, and keeping the Wilkes Community College catalog listings and discipline webpage information current and accurate.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division in maintaining academic currency (in conjunction with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, if any) by providing leadership for curriculum revision and development and by maintaining the quality and currency of the book and periodical collections in the Learning Resources Center/Library.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division in long- and short-range planning and determining an annual budget.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division every semester in preparing academic schedules and in selecting textbooks (in consultation with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, if any), and submitting accurate and timely information for the division schedule and textbook order.
- Recommending appropriate and current equipment, performing equipment inventories, maintaining equipment in good working condition, and taking necessary steps to ensure student safety around equipment.
- Recruiting, mentoring, and evaluating qualified adjunct instructors (in conjunction with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, as appropriate).
- Creating and maintaining current syllabi (in conjunction with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, as appropriate) and ensuring that syllabi are posted to the college web portal for all sections of all courses being taught each semester.
- Recommending appropriate persons to serve on the division advisory committee, attending advisory committee meetings, and maintaining contact with the advisory committee members.
- Fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned by the Departmental Chairperson, Dean of Division, or Vice President of Instruction.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact