Closes: Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree. Math, Science, Education, and Social Work majors preferred, but not required.
- At least one year of work or volunteer experience with high school students in an educational setting required.
- At least one year of leadership experience required.
- Work experience in a youth camp setting.
- Work or volunteer experience with first-generation students and students from low-income families.
- Preference for candidates who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the program's target population (i.e. candidates from first-generation or low-income backgrounds).
Central Carolina Community College's Upward Bound programs serve approximately 180 low-income, future first-generation high school students from Harnett and Lee County Schools with the goal ofincreasing the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Services provided by Upward Bound include: tutoring; college tours; SAT/ACT preparation and fee waivers; career exploration; summer residential programs at Campbell University; a summer internship program; assistance completing college admissions, financial aid, and scholarship applications; and the opportunity to take free college courses. Services are provided approximately once a month on Saturdays during the school year, and for six weeks during the summer. Once enrolled, students stay in the program until high school graduation. The program is offered at no cost to participants.
Central Carolina Community College is home to six (6) U.S. Department of Education federally-funded TRiO Programs, including Student Support Services, Student Support Services - STEM & Health Sciences, Upward Bound-Harnett County, Upward Bound-Lee County, Upward Bound Math & Science, and Veterans Upward Bound.
The Lead Summer Counselor is responsible for leading an academic, residential, pre-college summer program including supervising approximately 45 high school students and 5 summer staff members and coordinating all non-instructional daily activities.
Stipend is $3,200 plus meals and housing (8 weeks, June 11- August 5)
- Work directly with the Upward Bound Program Coordinators to effectively plan and implement all non-instructional elements of the 6-week residential program
- Coordinate daily activities, including planning team building activities, physical activity, and residential activities
- Supervise 5 summer staff members and approximately 45 Upward Bound students including overnight stay at Campbell University from Sunday afternoon through Friday afternoon weekly
- Support strong student engagement in the program by demonstrating enthusiasm and offering positive motivation for students
- Maintain accurate records regarding students and services
- Meet regularly with permanent staff to review programming, student progress, and discuss any problems
- Lead counseling team and hold regular meetings of counseling staff to review daily schedule and discuss student concerns
- Serve as a role model, mentor, and tutor
- Assist with special events and travel with students on field trips, college visits, and a cultural enrichment trip
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the Upward Bound program
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Central Carolina Community College Human Resources