Librarian Assistant, Public Services & Cataloging Support
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
340 Victoria Road
Asheville NC 28801
Closes: Monday, February 13, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Associate degree;
2. One year of full-time or equivalent experience in a library setting or experience in customer service-related field;
3. Basic computer experience including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and email.
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Higher education library work experience.
3. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
The primary responsibility of the Library Assistant for Public Services is to act as the public face of the Library. This position assists patrons at the circulation desk with a variety of tasks including the circulation of library materials, directional assistance to locate library materials and technical assistance including computer and copier assistance. The Library Assistant answers simple user questions and directs reference questions to appropriate Library staff. This position is also responsible for opening and closing duties and has a variable schedule. Additionally, under the supervision of the Cataloging and Technical Services Librarian this position will assist with maintenance of catalog records in the Library systems. Duties include checking materials for cataloging accuracy, doing minor corrections on items, generating labels for materials, and assisting with other duties as assigned.
1. Assists library patrons with the circulation of library materials, including locating, checking out and returning materials.
2. Assesses and collects fines for overdue and lost materials.
3. Provides basic reference services, including online database assistance, by phone, email, and in person.
4. Shelves collection items.
5. Performs opening/closing procedures.
6. Trains and oversees circulation duties and technical processing of part-time staff.
7. Processes all reserve items and orders processing supplies.
8. Work with library colleagues and others to acquire, develop and support new technological initiatives within the library.
9. Oversees Library signage and exhibits and displays.
10. Provides support to the Librarian, Cataloging & Technical Services including final inspection of all materials call numbers and checks against the card catalog.
11. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and RISE statement.
12. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.