Closes: Monday, October 21, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Four-year college degree or equivalent, required.
- Certification in Library Public Services, preferred.
- Demonstrated, successful experience in Library, media, and general office work, highly preferred.
- Proficiency using PC-based applications (Windows, word processing, spreadsheets), desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Serve as a team player in support of the library.
- Be able to work independently with little supervision, as well as collaboratively.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification System, preferred.
Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Library Technical/ Public Services Specialist provides public and technical services and administrative support throughout the Learning Resources Center.
Circulation Desk & Public Services:
- Serves as circulation, and audiovisual technician.
- Supervise Interlibrary Loan Services, cataloging, audiovisual, acquisition and circulation functions.
- Provides public services, through direct contact with patrons on a daily basis, based on the needs of each patron.
- Performs standard office management duties such as answering phone, copying and faxing; provide clerical support to the Library, as needed.
- Performs overdue transactions.
- Compiles, tabulates, and maintains statistical data in order to prepare and submit reports to the Director of Library for the Library and the audiovisual equipment.
- Provide instructional library orientations and training of the LRC’s databases to patrons.
Materials Cataloging and Processing:
- Research publishing and library trends to identify new material to order for the library.
- Serves as receiving clerk and processes the receipt of new book and non-book materials. Confirms receipt after comparing requisition and packing list.
- Responsible for copy-cataloging non-original material.
- Responsible for searching bibliographic databases using WorldCat and loading records into local system.
- Responsible for sending material to Raleigh for original cataloging, when needed.
- Perform final processing of new material by using appropriate methods, i.e. covering with Kapco cover, adding Reference, YA or Juv. Fiction Stickers, etc.
- Processes new book and non-book materials by stamping with school stamp, writing in trade item information, adding date due slips, and inserting tattle tape strips.
- Processes and distributes daily incoming mail.
- Maintains periodical and newspaper collection by checking in and processing for use.
- Prepares weekly reports of fees collected and delivering money to business office.
- Prepares laminated materials.
- Maintains reserve collection.
- Assists in the selection of audiovisual equipment.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment in storage/AV room.
- Troubleshoots and maintains computer workstations, computer peripherals, and the equipment used in the library
- Maintains the cleanliness of Audiovisual Room; and updates equipment periodically.
- Demonstrates use of and performs maintenance and minor repair of audiovisual equipment.
- Assists in keeping Lib Guides up-to-date with current information.
- Assist with implementation of the library resources archiving project that includes information relevant to the history of the College.
Floor, Stacks and Shelving:
- Maintains stacks in neat and orderly manner by assisting with weekly shelving, shelf-reading, and weeding activities.
- Assist with the semi-annual library inventory.
- Engages in semi-annual weeding of outdated materials.
Other Library Duties:
- Serves as supervising coordinator for work-study assistants, and library assistants.
- Develops and assists with the updating of the Library Procedures Manual.
- Clears staff who are leaving and students who are graduating.
- Attends professional meetings and webinars to stay abreast of innovations in library practices, procedures, and technology and support of the mission of the department.
- Assists with maintaining integrity and accuracy of the Library database as part of a statewide database and maintains cooperative relations with other libraries.
- Ability to work well with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Enforces the Library and College Policies.
- Supports and promotes college programs/activities for recruitment and retention of RCCC students.
- Attends college functions as assigned
- Serves on Roanoke-Chowan Community College committees as called upon.
- Participates in professional development activities provided by R-CCC.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Library Director which will contribute to the efficient and effective operation of the Learning Resource Center and of Roanoke-Chowan Community College.
- Ensure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable Federal agencies.
Physical Conditions: Maintain a physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties, which includes the following:
- Walking, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Stooping, squatting, climbing, kneeling, or reaching overhead to shelf books and library resources
- Pushing book carts and occasionally lifting and carrying items up to 50lbs
- Close visual concentration for extended periods of time
- Evening work hours required one night per week and occasionally during special events, graduation and student activities
- Frequently listening to and talking with students, faculty and other staff members either in person, by phone, chat or email
- Operate assigned equipment such as fax machine, copier, computer workstation, and laminating machine
Environmental Conditions: Typical Library Environment for Community College Library
- Working at a busy front desk in a community college library
- Working closely with a diverse group of people
- Monitoring a 6,000 square foot facility
- Being able to work independently
- Engaging in high levels of public contact
SUPERVISION PROVIDED: Assist with the processing of paperwork and supervision of work-study students and Title V employees.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: This position is supervised by the Library Director.
Note: Previous applicants will need to reapply for the position.
How to Apply
Please go to https://ats.applicantone.com/Careers/roanokechowancommunitycollege to apply.
Roanoke-Chowan Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. The College does not discriminate against students, faculty, or staff on the basis of race, color, gender, creed, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or national or ethnic origin in admission to, or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.