Closes: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
• High school diploma and/or vocational diploma with one to three years’ experience in maintenance or related field
• Knowledge of all tools and equipment used in maintenance field
• Knowledge of maintenance functions.
• Valid North Carolina driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
- Locates and marks position of pipe and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors.
- Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings.
- Cuts and threads pipe.
- Bends pipe to required angle by use of pipe-bending machine or by placing pipe over block and bending it by hand.
- Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as iron, steel, brass, and lead, and nonmetals, such as glass, vitrified clay, and plastic.
- Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, plastic solvent, and caulks joints.
- Fills pipe system with water or air and reads pressure gauges to determine whether system is leaking.
- Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, water heaters, hot water tanks, and water softeners.
- Repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- Performs such indoor maintenance activities as operating electric saws, painting, repairing and installing plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, etc.
- Performs such outdoor maintenance activities as trimming shrubbery and trees, planting lawns, moving materials and equipment, pouring concrete, etc.
- Has the responsibility to lead maintenance helpers to accomplish their assigned tasks.