Math Instructor (9-month position)
RCC Main Campus
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, July 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s degree in Math or a master’s degree with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in math.
Same as Minimum
- Researching and recommending for approval program advisory committee members to the administration following established policy and procedure.
- Interacting with the program advisory committee to determine state-of-the-art practices, procedures, and equipment related to maintaining an up-to-date instructional program that would be valued and needed by the employers in the Robeson Community College service area.
- Assisting with the research and development of information necessary to teach the appropriate courses to the students of Robeson Community College.
- Monitoring professional information sources to determine trends and innovations in one’s field that lend themselves to integration into the instructional program.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Planning and organizing the curriculum as approved by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities.
- Identifying and/or developing instructional materials needed to teach the program competencies prescribed in the approved curriculum by Robeson Community College, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities.
- Assisting in the development of program competencies for all courses in the program major.
- Developing course syllabi that outline clear and appropriate learning outcomes and expectations that reflect program competencies.
- Utilizing the course description set forth in the common course library when developing or assessing learning objectives.
- Developing appropriate assessments of established learning outcomes for all courses taught.
- Reporting student progress in mastering established learning outcomes based on identified and approved assessments.
- Providing effective instruction which demonstrates appropriate knowledge of his/her specialized field.
- Teaching an appropriate instructional course load in accordance with policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Demonstrating the effective use of pedagogical methods to meet various student learning styles.
- Administering appropriate assessment and/or testing to measure student learning outcomes in all courses.
- Maintaining appropriate classroom standards that include the effective management of students in the classroom and the management of classroom and lab facilities.
- Ordering textbooks, instructional materials, and supplies as needed for instruction following established procedures.
- Developing and recommending class schedules cooperatively with other departments and divisions of the college.
- Identifying and/or recommending equipment needed to teach the competencies prescribed in the approved curriculum by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and accrediting entities.
- Maintaining compliance with established Critical Success Factors, performance measures, national benchmarks, etc. for the appropriate curriculum as prescribed by the North Carolina Community College System and accrediting entities.
- Providing timely and accurate reports including 10% reports, grade reports, and other required reports related to instruction.
Student Services Support
- Maintaining posted office hours in accordance with requirements outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Being available to students on a regular basis for out-of-class tutorial support in the courses he or she is assigned to teach.
- Recruiting students for his or her respective program and other programs of Robeson Community College.
- Serving as an academic advisor to students with advising responsibilities in the assigned program relative to course requirements, expectations, and completion standards.
- Participating in the college’s registration and orientation sessions as assigned.
- Maintaining student files within the department as required by state and/or local policy.
- Referring students to Student Services personnel for guidance, counseling, and resource assistance following prescribed procedures on an as needed basis.
- Coordinating retention strategies with the appropriate program faculty, Program Director, appropriate administration, and Student Services personnel to maximize student retention.
- Providing placement assistance to graduates of the assigned program.
- Providing assistance and information for student follow-up reports and demographics as required by state or local policy and/or reports.
- Sponsoring and supporting program enrichment activities, particularly student organizations.
Business Services Support
- Assisting the Program Director in the development of a departmental budget for his or her assigned program.
- Assisting the Program Director in the development of bid specifications for instructional equipment, materials, and supplies for the assigned program.
- Assisting the Program Director in monitoring departmental expenditures to ensure expenditures are within the financial resources allocated to the program.
- Complying with Fiscal Management System policies and procedures set forth for Robeson Community College.
- Working a minimum of a 35-hour workweek in accordance with policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Assisting with the implementation and enforcement of all official policies and procedures of Robeson Community College.
- Attending meetings, conferences, seminars, briefings, and training sessions called to expedite the business of the college.
- Attending extracurricular functions such as graduation, campus fund drives, etc. that promote the collegiate life.
- Serving on local, state, regional and/or national committees upon request and/or approval from the administration.
- Serving on college committees as assigned to expedite college business and to be involved in the decision-making process of the college.
- Striving to exhibit a personal and professional deportment that reflects positively upon the individual and the public perception of the community college.
Public Relations Support
- Maintaining effective intra-institution relationships with members of the Board of Trustees, President’s Senior Staff, Administrative Staff, faculty, and support personnel of the college.
- Providing appropriate liaison support with the North Carolina Community College System and other relational entities.
- Promoting Robeson Community College with local, state, regional, and national citizenry.
- Participating in Robeson Community College, North Carolina Community College System, and other authorized professional development programs upon request.
- Pursuing professional development courses, seminars, workshops, and institutes designed to enrich and/or enhance the quality of instruction delivered in the classroom and/or laboratory.
- Pursuing local, state, regional, or national certifications that qualify one’s work against recognized standards in his or her field.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the appropriate Program Director, Assistant Vice-President, Vice President for Instruction and Support Services and/or the President of Robeson Community College.
How to Apply
Candidates for the position should apply online at www.robeson.edu/hr and submit a Professional Resume, a photocopy of Official Transcripts, and any other supporting documentation related to the qualification requirements. Robeson Community College reserves the right to perform consumer background checks on applicants who are considered for employment and the College may administer personality profile testing as part of the selection process.