133 James Sprunt Drive Kenanscville, NC 28349
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, June 1, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Technology skills and ability to teach others.
- Proficiently operate a computer and related software.
- Use active listening skills.
- Be organized, with a flexible attitude.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Skill in managing executive calendars.
- Proven knowledge and skill in the use of advanced features of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
- Ability to show initiative and self-direction as well as communicate professionally across a variety of constituent groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively through speech and writing.
- Ability to identify, communicate and analyze problems.
- Ability to take ownership and utilize constructive feedback.
- Must be punctual, professional and conduct oneself in an ethical manner.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work respectfully within a team environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill and abilities.
Required: Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in mathematics or a Master's degree from a a regionally accredited institution with at least 18 graduate semester hours in mathematics.
Preferred: Bilingual; Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Preferred: Some teaching experience at the community college level. Some experience with instructional delivery via distance learning.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to focus. May require travel.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisor personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
James Sprunt Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College prohibits discrimination against any person (including staff, faculty or student body) on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
If you need accommodations please contact 910-296-2400.
Plans, prepares for, and teaches assigned courses; evaluates student progress and provide academic advising; maintains necessary records and submits institutional reports in a timely manner; assists in departmental and institutional planning; serves on college committees; performs other job-related duties. This position is supervised by the General Education Department Head.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities the ability to perform the essential functions.
- Meets and holds classes as scheduled
- Provides assistance to students
- Refers students to other college staff when necessary
- Prepares, implements and evaluates competency-based course outlines based upon program objectives
- Keeps current on subject matter and teaching methodologies
- Maintains student records and monitors student progress
- Completes and submits institutional reports in a timely basis
- Provides input and participates in college's Planning Process
- Maintains required office hours each week
- Recruits students and implements retention strategies
- Participates/assists with coordination of specific program/course management
- Utilizes AVISO Retention as an early alert system for students that need extra support and resources
- Serves as Advisor to selected student organizations and/or associations
- Serves as liaison between the college and business/industry in area of professional expertise
- Continuously analyzes and evaluates instructional results to improve instruction and evaluation of student progress
- Provides students and college with written course expectations as defined by the college including general course information, course objectives, methods used in evaluation of students, grading policy, attendance policy, textbooks, etc.
- Maintains individual course assessment files with items keyed to student learning outcomes at the course level as well as to program/institutional competencies
- Provides supervisor with copy of all current course syllabi with student learning outcomes keyed to program competencies
- Assists with keying program competencies to institutional competencies
- Conducts on-going self-evaluations to improve instructional techniques and methodologies
- Provides assistance in implementing the college's Program Review process and recommendations
- Writes or assists in writing grants as appropriate to instructional area
- Promotes a positive image of college
- Engages in a program of professional development and community service
- Assists with equipment and software maintenance
- Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to position
- Maintain security of personal computer access
- Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned
- Serve on college committees as directed by supervisor