Weldon, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, July 15, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree required in Mathematics or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in the disciplinary field of Mathematics.
- Doctoral degree in the disciplinary field of Mathematics.
- One to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college;
- specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred;
- experience working with the diverse academic,
- socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students;
- two years teaching experience in mathematics;
- experience using learning management systems, preferably Blackboard.
The mission and purpose of HCC's School of Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies is to support the college's Mission, Vision, and Strategic Goals by empowering students to achieve their academic and personal goals for a diverse and global society.
The primary purpose and function of this position is to deliver instruction and support student success. He/she manages the internal affairs of the department and works closely with the Associate Dean of Curriculum/Chair of Arts & Sciences and Professional Studies with faculty recruitment, hiring processes, budget management, and encouraging faculty development for the department. He/she is responsible for program recruitment, managing schedules, textbook orders, and overall student success for his/her departmental area.
- Teach four classes per semester, unless altered and approved by the Associate Dean/Chair of Arts & Sciences and Professional Studies
- Teach assigned classes
- Create an effective learning environment
- Meet classes as assigned
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of the course
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security
- Course format – course(s) may be required to be conducted in any of the following formats (in-class, web, hybrid, and online).
Faculty Assignments Other Than Instruction
- Recruit, Advise, and Retain Students
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
- Participate in committee assignments
- Submit required reports
- Participate in the college's assessment process, as required
- Fulfill all contract provisions
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students
- Faculty recruitment and facilitate hiring processes
- Budget management
- Encourage faculty development for the math department
- Class schedule management
- Textbook selection and order management
- Mentor and guide other faculty and part-time adjunct faculty in the math department program
- Monitor and oversee student success for the math department program
Other Duties as Assigned
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application or this will also result in an incomplete application. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Human Resources Director within (15) days upon hiring.
All applications must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.
To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.