Closes: Monday, October 22, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Health Information Technology or related field and one to two years of related work experience
Medical Records Specialist position will be located on the Central Campus.
The Medical Records Specialist is responsible for maintaining accurate health records for students and faculty in multiple health programs to ensure continued program accreditation of the health programs. In addition, this position will manage records including criminal background checks and immunizations and, in some cases, FBI reports. The Medical Records position will develop and maintain records in the Cardiovascular Technology, Cytotechnology, Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Health Information Technology, Medical Assisting, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Nurse Aide, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Ophthalmic Medical Personnel, Pharmacy Technology, Physical Therapist Assistant, Respiratory Therapy and Surgical Technology programs.
The Medical Record Specialist will also provide information about the health records for faculty and staff, stay abreast of current and new program health accreditation requirements and serves as a liaison between multiple community clinical sites, program faculty members, students and on-line vendor personnel. In addition, this position will schedule immunizations for faculty members in the program and participate in program orientations for new students.
The Medical Records Specialist position will be located on the Central Campus and will serve students on multiple campuses.
The Medical Records Specialist position is needed to maintain accurate student and faculty medical records in order to ensure continued program accreditation for 15 health programs. Accurate student and faculty medical records, criminal background checks and, in some cases, FBI reports, are mandated by the various accrediting bodies and community clinical sites. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining over 1000 student records annually. In addition, faculty immunizations for all the programs must be maintained.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serves as resource for faculty and students in the Health Programs.
2. Collects, reviews, organizes and maintains a variety of highly confidential faculty and student records such as medical records, clinicals, physical examinations and FBI reports.
3. Ensures proper storage, organization and retrieval of information from faculty and student records.
4. Serves as liaison between multiple community clinical sites, program faculty and students.
5. Facilitates student criminal background checks; reviews results and refers cases to clinical sites as necessary.
6. Stays abreast of current and new program health accreditation requirements.
7. Develops and implements processes to ensure that all active student records are up-to-date and non-active student and faculty records are securely stored or purged as appropriate.
8. Develops and maintains student immunization data spreadsheets for clinical sites; communicates new health requirements; tracks student compliance and meets with students.
9. Analyzes medical record documents for completion and accuracy to meet requirements of clinical contracts.
10. Develops requested reports tracking student and faculty compliance, clinical site requirements and others.
11. Other duties assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
Ability to handle sensitive information and meet confidentiality regulations
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; strong proofreading skills
Excellent organizational and research skills
Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
How to Apply
Job Post Contact