Closes: Friday, April 16, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- An associate degree is required.
- Two or more years of full-time work experience in counseling, career development, case management or other related workforce development service is required.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills.
- Excellent management skills in human relations and communications (oral and written) are required.
- Commitment to excellent customer service and continuous improvement.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team to achieve common goals.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities.
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy.
- Knowledge of NCWorks Integrated Service Delivery model.
- Knowledge of Columbus County (geographic, economic, workforce, etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience with North Carolina’s NCWorks On-line system
Under the general supervision of the Center Manager of the NCWorks Career Center, the Career Advisor delivers customer service, administrative and basic technical and/or programmatic assistance and support to youth, NDWG participants, job seekers, staff and/or business customers. In order to fulfill the objectives of this position, the Career Advisor performs the following functions:
- Provides vocational, educational and personal counseling and/or case management for NDWG participants, individually and in small groups.
- Responsible for case management for designated NDWG customers including mandated case load numbers, eligibility determination, documentation of activities, delivery of required services and follow-up to meet required performance measures.
- Provides vocational, educational and personal counseling and/or case management for NCWorks Career Center customers, primarily youth ages 16-24, individually and in small groups.
- Responsible for case management for designated WIOA customers including mandated case load numbers, eligibility determination, documentation of activities, delivery of required services and follow-up to meet required performance measures.
- Assists job seeker/job changer customers with career development and job search activities including applications, resumes and interview preparation.
- Uses appropriate computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, Internet, and specialized computer applications.
- Assists all customers with job search/job development/job placement activities, including business customers.
- Develops and updates individual action plans as needed to facilitate successful job placement for customers.
- Responsible for customer assessment, eligibility, enrollment, tracking, and follow up.
- Identifies barriers to employment for individuals and initiates referrals to appropriate services for assistance.
- Reviews employer job orders and ensures qualified job applicants are referred based on defined standards as set by employers.
- Provides excellent customer service to every customer or potential customer, utilizing interviewing, coaching/training techniques, labor market information and recruiting skills to match job seekers to employers.
- Coordinates program functions with other NCWorks Career Center staff, college personnel, workforce development programs, and human service agencies to accomplish customers’ goals and program objectives.
- Works as a team member within the NCWorks Career Center and Workforce and Community Development Division.
- Completes all forms and documentation associated with above responsibilities accurately and on time.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the WIOA Title I Coordinator, NCWorks Career Center Manager and the Vice President of Workforce and Community Development.
How to Apply
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements, and undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Deadline for receipt of applications is April 16, 2021. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, and P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472.
Job Post Contact