Rutherfordton Learning Center
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Sunday, April 30, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited institution, or obtain within five years, required
2. Two calendar years or the equivalent of full-time clinical experience as a registered nurse, required
3. Commitment to continuing education throughout the life span, required
a. Maintain competence in areas of assigned responsibility
b. Have current knowledge of nursing practice of the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse
c. Participate in curriculum implementation and evaluation.
4. If the master’s degree in nursing is in a major other than nursing education, prior to or within the first three years of employment, have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment as demonstrated by the following, required
a. Completion of 45 contact hours of continuing education courses;
b. Completion of a certificate program in nursing education;
c. Nine semester hours of graduate course work;
d. National certification in nursing education; or
e. Documentation of successful completion of structured, individualized development activities of at least 45 contact hours approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Criteria for approval include content in the faculty role within the curriculum implementation, objectives to be met and evaluated, review of strategies for identified student population and expectations of student and faculty performance;
Teaching experience, preferred
In support of the overall learning college, the A.D.N. instructor will provide quality learning opportunities that assist students in meeting their educational goals and career aspirations.
1. The faculty member shall be responsible for the course content and syllabi for all courses he/she is assigned. Specifically, the faculty member will:
a. Follow the course description set forth in the Combined Course Library integrating:
1) Advisory Committee recommendations when appropriate
2) Needs of the market place
3) Student needs and characteristics
4) Input from committees or Director
b. Arrange for the acquisition and /or preparation of materials and equipment necessary to meet the course objectives.
c. Prepare, distribute, and review with the student during the first week of class a course syllabus, which outlines clear and reasonable learning outcomes and objectives.
2. The faculty member will implement active learning techniques and use a variety of learner-centered instructional strategies designed to assist the learner in meeting the objectives of the course. Such activities can include, but are not limited to:
a. Cooperative learning
b. Experiential learning
c. Writing for learning
d. Critical thinking initiatives
e. Clinical judgement initiatives
Support for faculty development will be available to enhance skills in these areas.
3. The faculty member will focus on student learning outcomes taking into account the needs and abilities of the students and the mission of the college.
4. The faculty member will become familiar with academic and social support services, which benefit diverse groups.
5. The faculty member will be supportive of students’ educational goals and will make reasonable provisions to accommodate their individual differences while maintaining the academic integrity of the college.
6. The faculty member will also be required to perform other assignments, consistent with his/her professional abilities, as assigned by the Division Dean/Director or Administration in carrying out the mission of the college/program. These duties include, but are not limited to the following:
The faculty member will:
a. Deal with students, peers, and administrative and support staff in a consistent, organized, flexible,
fair, and professional manner.
b. Post and maintain office hours as stated in the faculty workload policy.
c. Be available for student appointments for advising and assisting students in achieving their educational and vocational goals.
d. Be prompt and accurate in the recording and reporting of student data information to include
enrollment, reports, final grade reports, and book orders.
e. Each year develop/update a performance enrichment plan to enhance content knowledge and teaching skills.
f. Serve as academic advisor to students.
g. Assist in the registration and orientation process.
h. Participate in college committees as elected or assigned.
i Assist in recruiting activities when assigned.
j. Assist part-time instructors when requested.
k. Work with the community in meeting the educational needs of our service area.
l. Participate in graduation exercises.
Additional Responsibilities of Full-Time A.D.N. Faculty:
a. Reports directly to the Director.
b. Participation in updating, implementation, and accurate evaluation of student outcomes in specified skills, theory, and principles.
c. Develop learning activities and student assessments consistent with creative and current course objectives as outlined in the nursing syllabi.
d. Teach organized course material clearly in accordance with the schedule of classes.
e. Assist with/provide instruction of students in the clinical laboratory and campus laboratory.
f. Instruct students in the use of audio-visual and computer equipment and supervise such activities as necessary.
g. Establish effective communications and working relationships with clinical affiliate personnel, full-time and part-time instructors, and students.
h. Make student referrals to Student Services or the Advising Center as appropriate.
i. Participate in the orientation of new faculty to the cooperating health agencies as needed.
j. Participate in development of student admission, progression, and graduation requirement policies/procedures.
k. Promptly attend all scheduled and called program meetings and special conferences.
l. Be in good standing with all clinical affiliate organizations.
m. Perform other activities as designated by Director including Course and/or Clinical Coordination (see below).
How to Apply
Job Post Contact