Caldwell Campus, 2855 Hickory Blvd., Hudson, North Carolina
Closes: Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required.
A minimum of three years of experience in marketing, outreach, public relations, or student support.
The Outreach Navigator is responsible for promoting and facilitating educational and career pathways in the fields of biopharmaceuticals and life sciences in support of the College’s grant-funded NC BioBetter initiative. The Outreach Navigator will organize and conduct outreach activities to educate current and prospective students, particularly students from underrepresented and historically marginalized populations, about career pathways in the biopharmaceutical and life sciences industries and collaborate with the other community colleges participating in the NC BioBetter initiative to increase awareness of these career pathways statewide. The Outreach Navigator will also provide students who are interested in a career in the biopharmaceutical and life sciences industries with career/success coaching, employability skills assessment and training, and job search awareness/assistance. The Outreach Navigator will also work with industry partners to identify short-term training and supplemental education opportunities for incumbent employees.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Essential and other responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts outreach activities to educate current and prospective students about career possibilities in the biopharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
- Works with Marketing and Communications to create promotional materials, including digital and social media content, to support and complement outreach efforts.
- Develops and implements, in collaboration with community and industry partners, outreach strategies focusing on underserved student populations, including Latino students.
- Works with Enrollment Management Services and other college constituents to facilitate student enrollment.
- Assists students with completing their application and student orientation processes, developing individual education plans, registering for classes, and completing the FAFSA and other financial assistance applications for scholarship and sponsorship opportunities.
- Meets with current and prospective students to develop educational and career pathways for employment in the biopharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
- Assists students with exploring career opportunities in the biopharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
- Works with employers in biopharmaceuticals and life sciences to identify short-term training and workforce development opportunities for incumbent employees.
- Assists with grant management, reporting, and compliance activities for the NC BioBetter initiative as needed.
- Serves on pertinent local and state-wide committees in support of the NC BioBetter initiative and its goals.
- Assists students with assessing their employability skills for the biopharmaceutical industry and connecting with resources to strengthen those skills.
- Works closely with and refers students to other support areas on campus and in the community when appropriate to ensure they remain on their educational or career path.
- Assists the College’s NC BioBetter Project Liaison with organizing and conducting campus-wide activities.
- Collaborates with colleagues at other NC BioBetter participating colleges to develop regional and statewide outreach initiatives.
- Serves on NC Community College System Office (NCCCS) grant committees as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position description covers the essential functions and duties associated with this position. The President or appropriate supervisory personnel may assign additional duties. The college reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title with or without notice.
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Principles of marketing and public relations
- Concepts of utilizing social media for outreach and marketing purposes
- Student engagement concepts and strategies
- Diverse and/or underserved communities
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
- Assist students with career and academic advising
- Facilitate assessments of students’ career readiness and employability skills
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Implement complex outreach efforts for prospective students
- Demonstrate cultural competency skills that engages individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Interpret and apply college and assigned division goals, objectives, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Interpret and apply Federal, State, and local policies, laws, and regulations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Prioritize multiple duties and responsibilities
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
The employee should have the ability to effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve an office and classroom workspace, working closely with others, and periodically working irregular hours. The employee must maintain the office and teaching environments by maintaining equipment and supplies, and ensuring overall cleanliness, functionality, and conformance to OSHA standards to provide a safe work environment.
Physical and marginal functions require the ability to maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following: standing, walking, or sitting for extended periods, moderate lifting and carrying, general manual dexterity, operating assigned equipment, and extended exposure to computer screens. The employee must maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception for making observations, reading, and writing, operating assigned equipment, communicating with others, and handling varied tasks simultaneously. Additionally, the employee must maintain mental capacity, which permits making sound decisions and using good judgment, demonstrating intellectual capabilities, and evaluating the effectiveness of programs and personnel.
This is a full-time, 12-month position, which requires the employee to be on campus or at an approved alternate location for at least thirty-six hours per week, Monday through Thursday, 8:00am-5:00pm, and Friday, 8:00am-12:00pm, including one evening per week till 7:00 PM. This position generally works daytime hours, but has the potential for occasional evening or weekend hours.
Local travel between the Caldwell campus, Watauga campus, or any off-campus sites may be needed. Out of state travel is limited, but may be required for training and conferences.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Executive Director, Human Resources
Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute
2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson, NC 28638
PH: (828) 726-2269