Closes: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required Qualifications :
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in janitorial, customer service, or related industry.
The Custodian Part-time (Day) position is a part-time, hourly position. The staff member is responsible for assisting with the general janitorial services of all building and grounds at all campus locations, as well as room setups. The Custodian ensures all rooms and service areas are cleaned and maintained to the highest standard. As part of Facilities, Custodians are responsible for a broad set of cleaning services and general upkeep in and around HCC Facilities. The majority of work focuses on inside services; however, on a seasonal basis expectations could include responsibilities such as clearing entrances to buildings and power washing exterior surfaces. Day Custodians report to the Facilities Director. Hours are Monday through Friday for regularly 5 hours per day from either 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., or 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Performs necessary routine custodial services including, but not limited to:
- Performs janitorial services in areas around the college campus as assigned by the Facilities Director.
- Maintains records as required including daily worksheets of jobs completed, gas receipts, etc.
- Respond to needs such as work orders, particularly for event set up and tear down in the Centre.
- Follows campus rules and regulations along with supervisor guidance regarding regulatory code books, equipment manuals, policy and procedure manuals, codes/laws/regulations, publications, and reference texts, etc.
- Operates a variety of equipment and machinery such as telephone, vehicles and various trailers, sprayers, wet/dry vacuums, scrubbers, buffers, etc.
- Utilizes various types of tools including but not limited to: ladders, drills, toilet auger, channel locks, and miscellaneous hand tools.
- lnteracts and communicates with various groups and individuals including Facilities Director, co-workers, staff and faculty, contractors, regulatory agencies, businesses, and the general public.
- Performs general administrative work, including but not limited to: attending meetings, providing data for reports, etc.
- Incumbent must be able to work in a collegiate environment.
- Incumbent must establish and maintain good working relationship with manager, co-workers, faculty, staff, students and the general public providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.
To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.