- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, August 9, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in English.
Teaching experience required.
see Minimum Qualifications
Part-time faculty are professional, credentialed educators with the primary responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for credit and non-credit Rockingham Community College (RCC) students. Faculty are responsible for providing learning experiences on the main campus and off-site. Faculty are responsible for but are not limited to planning, organizing, promoting, and teaching appropriate courses, to include online and hybrid, for RCC. Faculty are expected to perform all instruction-related duties in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of the College, the North Carolina Community College System, and with appropriate accrediting entities where applicable.
Part-time faculty report to the appropriate Department Chair, Program Director or Dean.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Planning and organizing the curriculum as approved by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities.
- Identifying and/or developing instructional materials needed to teach the program competencies prescribed in the approved curriculum by Rockingham Community College, the North Carolina Community College System, and other accrediting entities.
- Integrating related supplemental reading that provides additional opportunities for student learning.
- Assisting in the development of program student learning outcomes for all courses in the program major.
- Developing course syllabi that outline clear and appropriate learning outcomes and expectations that reflect program competencies.
- Utilizing the course description set forth in the North Carolina Community College System common course library when developing or assessing learning objectives.
- Developing appropriate assessments of established learning outcomes for all courses taught.
- Reporting student progress in mastering established learning outcomes based on identified and approved assessments.
- Implementing and providing effective instruction that demonstrates appropriate knowledge of his/her specialized field in accordance with best practice literature.
- Teaching an appropriate instructional course load in accordance with policies outlined in the Instructional Procedures Manual.
- Demonstrating the effective use of pedagogical methods to meet various student learning styles.
- Administering appropriate assessment and/or testing to measure student learning outcomes in all courses.
- Maintaining appropriate classroom standards that include the effective management of students in the classroom and the management of classroom and lab facilities.
- Identifying and/or recommending equipment needed to teach the learning outcomes prescribed in the approved curriculum by the RCC Board of Trustees, the North Carolina Community College System, and accrediting entities.
- Maintaining compliance with established North Carolina Community College System performance measures, national benchmarks, etc. for the appropriate curriculum as prescribed by the North Carolina
Community College System and accrediting entities.
- Providing timely and accurate reports including 10% reports, grade reports, and other required reports related to instruction.
- Interacting with the program advisory committee to determine state-of-the-art practices, procedures, and equipment related to maintaining an up-to-date instructional program
- Monitoring professional information sources to determine trends and innovations in one’s field that lend themselves to integration into the instructional program.
Student Development Support
- Being available to students for out-of-class tutorial support in the courses, he or she is assigned to teach.
- Referring students to Student Development personnel for guidance, counseling, and resource assistance following prescribed procedures on an as needed basis.
- Supporting retention strategies with the appropriate program faculty, Department Chair, Program Director, appropriate administration, and Student Services personnel to maximize student retention.
- Providing placement assistance to graduates of the assigned program.
- Assisting with the implementation and enforcement of all official policies and procedures of RCC.
- Attending meetings, conferences, seminars, briefings, and training sessions called to expedite the business of the college.
- Attending extracurricular functions such as graduation, campus fund drives, etc. that promote the collegiate life.
- Striving to exhibit a personal and professional deportment that reflects positively upon the individual and the public perception of the community college.
- Participating in the activities to maintain programmatic and institutional accreditation.
Public Relations Support
- Maintaining effective intra-institution relationships with members of the Board of Trustees, President’s Senior Staff, Administrative Staff, faculty, and support personnel of the service area.
- Providing appropriate liaison support with the North Carolina Community College System and other relational entities.
- Promoting Rockingham Community College with local, state, regional, and national citizenry.
- Participating in Rockingham Community College, North Carolina Community College System, and other authorized professional development programs upon request.
- Pursuing professional development courses, seminars, workshops, and institutes designed to enrich and/or enhance the quality of instruction delivered in the classroom and/or laboratory.
- Pursuing local, state, regional, or national certifications that qualify one’s work against recognized standards in his or her field.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the appropriate Department Chair, Program Director, Dean, Vice President for Academic Affairs and/or the President of Rockingham Community College.
- The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.