Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Drive, Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, June 11, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Fish and Wildlife, or a related Natural Resources discipline. Some programs require higher levels of instructor training to meet accreditation requirements. Proven record of timely reporting and completion of paperwork. Willingness to continually train and upgrade skills as workforce needs evolve. Possession of a N.C. driver’s license and having the ability to qualify for campus auto insurance. Willingness to work outdoors during inclement weather.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Forestry, Fish and Wildlife, or a related Natural Resources discipline. Teaching experience with students having a wide range of learning styles. Ability to teach effectively in the classroom and the field. Having competency in teaching a wide range of "hands-on" natural resources technology courses including dendrology, forest measurements, fire management, soils and hydrology, silvics and silviculture, and GIS/GPS.
Primary Purpose of Position
This position requires the lab assistant to assist any and all personnel in the Natural Resources Division in preparing and conducting lecture and lab exercises. Knowledge of all aspects of this division are essential.
* Anticipated start date of 8/23/2021 for fall semester 2021. Hiring 2 positions. Applications will be reviewed as received and position is only open until filled. This is a non-exempt, staff position with teaching duties where qualifications are based on minimum degree attainment requirements. *
- Teach laboratory sections of natural resource courses.
- Coordinate material and assignments with full-time instructors.
- Maintain and enforce safety protocols in the field.
- Complete any required training (e.g., first aid, van-safety training, etc.).
- Reserve and provide available transportation for off-campus field trips and drive vehicle when required or when an additional driver is needed.
- Assure that all equipment necessary for labs is operable and constantly inventoried to ensure equipment is available for every student.
- Collect and preserve all laboratory specimens needed for the division.
- Assist in all phases of the management of school forests, i.e., road repair, fence maintenance, boundary marking, seeding grasses, etc.
- Grade assignments and maintain required student records.
- Serve as a substitute instructor when faculty are sick or away from campus.
- Assist in program recruitment efforts.
- Coordinate with off-campus organizations that host laboratory field trips.
- Stay informed about changes in campus policy by regularly reading and responding to e-mails.
- Complete all college paperwork by the required deadline.
- Operation of college owned vehicles.
- Reservations of vehicles in the campus motor pool.
- Attend course lectures as needed.
- Clean and organize labs.
- Repair all equipment as needed.
- Conduct divisional inventory of state equipment.
- Order materials and equipment.
- Learn new guidelines and processes required for the performance of job duties.
- Create a student-centered environment.
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity.
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and the college learning community.
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision and values.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- Required certifications must be outlined on the application and a copy of any licensure attached.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status
Direct questions to Beverly Balliot, HR Specialist/Recruiter at 828-627-4562 or by email at email@example.com