Closes: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
High school diploma
A minimum of one (1) year of experience in janitorial services or related industry is required.
Duties: As a part of Facilities, Custodians are responsible for a broad set of cleaning services and general upkeep in and around HCC facilities. The majority of the work focuses on inside services; however, on a seasonal basis expectations could include responsibilities such as clearing entrances to buildings and power washing exterior surfaces. Custodians report to the Custodial Supervisor. Hours are Monday through Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The Custodian will be able to perform the following:
- Performs janitorial services in areas around the college campus as assigned by the Custodial Supervisor.
- Maintains records as required including daily worksheets of jobs completed, gas receipts, etc.
- Respond to needs such as work orders, vehicle check out forms, purchase requests, inspection reports,
- reports, records, correspondence, etc. described by supervisor.
- Follows campus rules and regulations along with supervisor guidance regarding regulatory code books, equipment manuals, policy and procedure manuals, codes/laws/regulations, publications, and reference texts, etc.
- Operates a variety of equipment and machinery such as telephone, vehicles and various trailers, sprayers, wet/dry vacuums, scrubbers, buffers, etc.
- Utilizes various types of tools including but not limited to: ladders, drills, toilet auger, channel locks, and miscellaneous hand tools.
- lnteracts and communicates with various groups and individuals including Custodial Supervisor, co workers, staff and faculty, contractors, regulatory agencies, businesses, and the general public.
- Performs general administrative work, including but not limited to: attending meetings, providing data for reports, etc.
- Performs a variety of general housekeeping duties such as operating scrubbers, upright vacuums, back pack vacuums, operating buffers, moving office furniture as requested, unloading trucks, etc.
- Sets up for various events such as but is not limited to, setting up tables, chairs, portable stage, removing desk and chairs from rooms, cleaning up after the event, and setting the room back up with employees safety considered.
- Performs during inclement weather, but is not limited to, storm clean up, storm notification, or evacuation, snow removal, etc. that is required to be done during times the school is closed due to the inclement weather.
- Moves various items such as, but is not limited to, moving furniture, equipment, and boxes, and rearranging offices and classrooms.
- Ability and willingness to work any shift and at any campus as assigned.
How to Apply
Special Instructions to Applicants and Additional Information:
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc.
Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted.