Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Drive, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master's degree in Philosophy or a related subject area with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Philosophy.
Teaching experience at the post-secondary level, familiarity with Moodle, and online teaching experience will be given preferred consideration.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This instructor will teach web-based or online Philosophical Issues, PHI 215, or other philosophy courses as needed, beginning in fall 2021. Duties are primarily instructional with efforts that promote and enhance the college's commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty; developing curriculum; maintaining professional competence. Faculty members are responsible to a department dean and/or program manager. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, and facilitator of learning.
* Applications will be reviewed as received and position is only open until filled. Hire date is 8/16/21 *
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Generates updated course syllabi at the beginning of the semester that provides students with a list of course requirements, necessary texts/supplies, a summary of course content and subject competencies to be covered, and evaluation methods to be utilized.
- Prepares course materials.
- Use appropriate teaching techniques, including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting demonstrations.
- Conducts evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintains records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedures.
- Responsible for the development and revision of course content, textbook/equipment selection, and other instructional materials.
- Supports and encourages college sponsored activities.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- Required certifications must be outlined on the application and a copy of any licensure attached.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status