Closes: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience
- Required Associate's degree with major coursework in accounting, business, or a related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Two or more years of experience that includes knowledge of payroll processing, accounting procedures, financial statements and reporting, and/or relevant experience.
Knowledge, Specialized Skills and Abilities
- Ability to independently perform payroll posting, reconciliation, and technical accounting duties.
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, oral and written communication skills, a positive attitude and the ability to deal with continual change.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive personnel information.
- Demonstrate ability to work with various constituencies of the college community and a diversified population of students, faculty and staff.
- Proficiency using a personal computer with knowledge of Excel and other spreadsheets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with teams.
- An understanding of and commitment to the mission, goals and objectives of the College.
Perform a variety of duties as related to payroll and the associated benefits; exercise independent judgment in accordance with established policies, procedures, and/or government regulations; ensure all applicable deadlines are met and payments are made on a timely basis; and assist in other areas of the Business Office, as needed.
- Compute and process all payrolls to ensure accuracy and that appropriate deadlines are met. Reconcile all trial balance/general ledger discrepancies (full-time and part-time).
- Verify, compute, and process all departmental payroll data; compare time sheets to part-time contracts for compliance with contracted rates and hours to be worked; enter hours to be paid; resolve any discrepancies with each department. Also, verify that full-time employee monthly wages agree with signed contracts; including verifying any adjustments or amendments.
- Ensure that the proper payroll account code is used for all full-time and part-time employees.
- Compute and electronically transmit direct payroll deposits to include preparation of deposit notices for the employee and verification with bank. Serve as liaison with bank and employee if problems arise with direct deposit and/or check. Also, prepare monthly payroll vouchers to employees not on direct deposit.
- Reconcile all benefits deduction invoices with employee deductions and process deduct vouchers.
- Verify/approve leave report and discuss questions and/or discrepancies with Human Resources.
- Create and maintain, on a monthly basis, manual files of payroll on full-time and permanent part-time employees including, but not limited to, monthly gross wages, adjustments, other contracts, and benefits. For part-time employees, maintain the total of all departmental spreadsheets (after verifying amounts and codes).
- Prepare and submit all retirement and tax reports to include federal withholding deposits, FICA deposits, state withholding deposits, and all monthly and quarterly tax reports, in accordance with all federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines.
- Prepare calendar year-end payroll reports, including W-2 reporting.
- Verify with Human Resources, for tax purposes, student status for those student employees.
- Prepare reports for fiscal year-end purposes to include payroll accruals, leave accruals, and any other payroll related reports.
- Complete various reports to provide information as requested by external or internal sources as related to payroll.
- Maintain inventory of all forms and supplies as related to payroll department; responsible for completing requisition to order items as needed.
- Assist in records retention and disposal process for payroll department. Also, responsible for the accurate filing of payroll files/reports.
Accounts Payable Duties
- Properly process the quarterly NC Sales and Use Tax report
- Responsible for accurate coding and timely processing of invoices. Investigate and resolve all discrepancies associated with the processing of invoices.
- Ensure all vendor invoices are filed with appropriate AP documentation, separated by funding source and check number for ease of access for business and audit purposes.
- Process all Financial Aid Student disbursements, DCA deposit checks, Nelnet deposit checks, petty cash deposit checks, and other Cashier check requests within a timely manner regarding state regulations
- Supervision of part-time Business Office Coordinator
- Responsible for 1099 processing and issuance to vendors at close of calendar year for tax purposes that meet federally regulated guidelines.
- Attend training and conferences as necessary to remain current and as determined by the Controller.
- Actively participate in staff development workshops, staff meetings and serve on various college committees as assigned.
- Maintain clean, organized work area at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.