Closes: Friday, October 15, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- An Associate's degree in business, accounting or related business field.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in a business office.
- Experience using an electronic payroll system.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field.
- At least five years in payroll/benefit administration.
- Payroll experience in a state agency.
Under the supervision of the Controller, the Payroll Specialist is responsible for all transactions involving payroll. The Specialist will perform technical and specialized governmental accounting work processing and maintaining the payroll for the College, as well as processing related taxes, longevity, deferred compensation, and other payroll benefit records ensuring all applicable deadlines are met. To fulfill the objectives of this position, the Payroll Specialist performs the following functions:
- Coordinate all activities relative to payroll processes and operating procedures. Responsible for the monthly processing, scheduling, and payroll process for full-time and part-time employee payroll checks and direct deposits.
- Prepare payroll journal entries for input into Colleague. This includes all year-end payroll related journal entries for accumulated vacation leave and accrued salaries.
- Process, maintain and file contracts and verifies and/or adjusts contracts as requested. Directs employee contract preparation.
- Code, compute and process contracts, time sheets and various other pay types for entry.
- Create and maintain payroll spreadsheet (updated each fiscal year) for all full-time college personnel as a reconciliation tool to the Colleague payroll system that includes salaries, position IDs, longevity, and fringe benefit information.
- Electronic transmittals and electronic payments used whenever possible.
- Create, maintain, and update all payroll encumbrances and serves as a primary contact for encumbrance issues including encumbrance research, resolution and processing.
- Verify voucher register for Accounts Payable checks required for payroll, deductions and tax payment. Reconciles the checks to the invoices.
- Responsible for payroll tax (Federal 941 and NC Withholding) and ACA filing and reconciliation, W-2 processor, 1095 processor, and primary contact for payroll tax exceptions including foreign nationals, students, out-of-state employees and other exceptions.
- Responsible for all payroll reporting to NCCCS and other financial related reports including but not limited to longevity, annual leave rollover and compensated absences.
- Assist Controller and CFO will all updates to payroll procedures and processes to best benefit the College’s efficiency.
- Answer all inquiries and provides information; researches and resolves payroll and benefit problems and discrepancies.
- Conduct payroll training including time entry processing for Self Service and various payroll processes.
- Work directly with Human Resources to confirm payroll related information and determine deductions and benefits (as needed).
- Serve as liaison for the College with the State Retirement System regarding retirement reporting and the Disability Income Plan of North Carolina.
- Assist the human resources department with benefit-related claims.
- Assist with workers’ compensation annual audit.
- Ensure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Maintain a professional and positive relationship with students, faculty, staff, and outside constituents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request. Position is targeted to be filled no later than 11/1/21.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the position requirements and college transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of applications will begin 10/15/21. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact