Closes: Monday, November 18, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
-Associate's degree in Accounting, Mathematics, Business Administration or related field from a regionally accredited institution, or significant progress toward the degree with anticipated completion date within 1 year
-At least one year of payroll or finance office experience
-Understanding of and commitment to College purpose, values, and vision
-Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
-Ability to accurately compile records and monitor information/data in an organized manner
-Excellent computer skills and commitment to use of technology
-Competence in using Microsoft office and other software applications
-Ability to work interdependently in close team environment
-Ability to manage multiple activities at once and prioritize effectively
-Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college
-Effectiveness in the following College organizational competencies:
- Translating College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action
- Collaborating and facilitating
- Creating and innovating
- Anticipating and responding to change
- Providing vision and leadership
North Carolina Community College experience in payroll
Affordable Care Act reporting experience/knowledge
Payroll Specialist reports to the Dean, Financial & Administrative Services and performs the following functions:
- Processes monthly payroll and disburses monthly deduction checks utilizing Ellucian software.
- Monitors related salary and fringe benefit budgets for all funds.
- Works collaboratively with Human Resources to perform annual reporting.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll issues or concerns.
- Maintain and document all payroll and leave records.
- Process and monitor garnishment orders and other issues that impact payroll.
- Coordinates with respective divisions across campus to make sure payroll is turned into Payroll Services on a timely basis.
- Processes federal, state, and local payroll reporting, including income taxes, FICA taxes, retirement, etc.
- Processes monthly special reimbursement billings.
- Provides general assistance to staff members in the division by preparing documents, spreadsheets, reports, data queries, and other tasks as needed for special projects.
- Works collaboratively with administrative support staff to develop cross-training opportunities and knowledge sharing.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Maintains office equipment and inventory of supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which support the purpose and initiatives of the College.