Closes: Saturday, September 30, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associates Degree in Accounting or a business-related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in a business office.
- One year of accounting and/or payroll experience required.
- Effective communication skills; both oral and written.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a business-related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Five years’ experience in payroll/benefit administration within a state agency.
- Working knowledge of Ellucian’s Colleague (Datatel).
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Payroll Specialist is responsible for all transactions involving payroll. The Payroll Specialist performs technical and specialized governmental accounting work processing and maintaining the Full-Time Payroll for the College, as well as processes the related taxes, longevity, deferred compensation, and other payroll benefit records ensuring that all applicable deadlines are met. The Payroll Specialist reports directly to the Director of Financial Services.
- Coordinates all activities related to the payroll processes and operating procedures, including training the Payroll technician.
- Provides clear guidance on payroll changes with the Director and the Payroll Technician.
- Creates, maintains, and updates all payroll encumbrances and serves as a primary contact for encumbrance issues including encumbrance research, resolution, and processing.
- Organizes and maintains all records and files for full-time employees.
- Serves as backup to Payroll Technician when needed to enter new part-time employees into the E-verify system (federal), NC New Hire system (state), Colleague System, and background checks.
- Enter all Personnel Action Forms for new positions and/or position modifications.
- Reviews and analyzes all payroll data for accuracy; calculates earnings and enters the payroll data into Colleague; updates payroll data on a daily basis to ensure accurate processing.
- Prepares payroll journal entries for input into Colleague such as payroll related journal entries for year-end including accumulated vacation leave and accrued salaries.
- Responsible for payroll tax (Federal 941 and NC Withholding), W-2 processing, and being the primary contact for payroll tax exceptions including foreign nationals, students (FWS), out-of-state employees and any other exceptions.
- Creates and maintains a payroll spreadsheet for all full-time college personnel as a reconciliation tool to the Colleague payroll system that includes salaries, longevity, overload pay, and for any other pay adjustments that may be needed.
- Performs specialized technical payroll calculations involving gross pay, retirement, taxes, contract calculation, retroactive pay, fringe benefits and leave records.
- Maintains benefit spreadsheets and reconciles to monthly invoices to ensure employee deductions are accurate and works with Accounts Payable to process vendor payments.
- Answers all inquiries and provides information; researches and resolves payroll and benefit problems and discrepancies.
- Prepares deposits for Federal, State, and FICA taxes.
- Works directly with Human Resources during open enrollment to ensure that all benefit/deduction changes are updated in Collegue and all changes are reviewed for accuracy.
- Prepares and processes full-time salaried payroll – including inputting data, salaries, direct deposits information, transmitting direct deposits and other payroll information as needed.
- Checks monthly time sheets for non-exempt salaried employees and maintains their files.
- Processes & prints payroll checks & all related monthly payroll reports and distributes checks according to business office policy.
- Manages and maintains documentation regarding garnishment deductions and payment activities as they relate to payroll.
- Works directly with Human Resources to confirm payroll related information and determine deductions and benefits (as needed).
- Ensures compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Responsible for all payroll reporting to NCCCS and other financial related reports including but not limited to longevity, annual leave rollover and compensated absences.
- Assist the human resources department with benefit-related questions and claims.
- Assists with workers’ compensation annual audit.
- Assists Director of Financial Services with all updates to payroll procedures and processes to best benefit the College’s efficiency.
- Responsible for part-time payroll training, support, and encouragement for the staff member completing the part-time payroll for the college including contract data entry and the completion of the part-time payroll process in its entirety.
- Maintains professional and positive attitude while providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
College Requirements of all Employees
- Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equal opportunity, and the academic, intellectual, and social development of all students and employees.
- An understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy and mission.
- Treats others respectfully, speaks to others courteously, and behaves in such a way that creates a workplace environment that is marked by trustworthiness, honest but polite communication, and interpersonal interactions that are both personally cordial and professionally appropriate.
- Acts as a team player when working with any and all employees of the College.
- Serves on institutional committees as appointed by the President.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Annually review all Randolph Community College safety rules and policies and be familiar with all emergency safety procedures.
- Promote good safety habits and be compliant with OSHA safety regulations.
- Randolph Community College conducts a background check and drug screening on all full-time new hires.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Director of Human Resources
Randolph Community College
629 Industrial Park Avenue
Asheboro, NC 27205