Wilmington - Downton Campus
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, June 17, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Professional skills, knowledge and attributes within the Health & Fitness Science profession
- Classroom and laboratory instructional techniques and procedures
- Principles and procedures of academic and instructional techniques and procedures
- Current trends, research and development in the area of assignment
- Principles and techniques involved in test development and administration
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Interpret and apply College goals, objectives, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Reading and writing
- Communicating with others
- Operating assigned equipment
- Handling varied tasks simultaneously
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following:
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Operating assigned equipment
- Handling varied tasks simultaneously
- Bending, stooping, climbing or lifting up to 50 pounds
- Maintain mental capacity, which allow the capability of:
- Making sound decisions
- Responding to questions
- Demonstrating intellectual capabilities
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES:
Required Minimum Education/Training:
- A Master’s Degree or higher in relevant field
- Personal Trainer Certification or obtain within 6 months of accepting position
- Group Exercise Training Certification or obtain within 6 months of accepting position
- Proficient in various computer programs such as Microsoft Office Suite
Required Minimum Experience:
- Minimum of three years qualifying work-related experience
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Teaching experience in post-secondary education in related area of study.
- Experience in course development
To provide classroom and laboratory instruction to students and assist in administration of the laboratory facility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision from the Health & Fitness Science Program Director
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
ESSENTIAL AND OTHER IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS STATEMENTS:
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide classroom and laboratory instruction to students.
- Develop class outlines and establish guidelines for various courses; prepare lesson plans and supplemental teaching materials; schedule classroom activities and select appropriate texts.
- Encourage a variety of teaching strategies to foster critical thinking and clinical applications.
- Develop and prepare tests to evaluate student academic and clinical performance; grade and record individual scores
- Review available instructional materials; estimate time, materials, and equipment required for various assignments; submit requests for materials, supplies and equipment to program director
- Supervise the use of and operation of various instructional equipment; provide instructional demonstrations on mechanical machinery or other equipment as appropriate; develop laboratory assignments to provide hands on experience as appropriate.
- Participate in systematic program evaluation.
- Participate in curriculum development, evaluation and change; ensure that the curriculum contributes to the development of skills, knowledge and abilities, which prepare students to enter into the profession
- Act as an advisor and counselor to students; provide individual tutoring to students outside of the classroom as needed
- Attend faculty and advisory committee meetings as required.
- Assist in training and calibration of new part-time faculty; laboratory protocols, use of instructional equipment and materials.
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance and performance; maintain other records and databases according to program needs.
- Stay abreast of new developments and changes in various assigned academic fields; participate in professional development programs, workshops, seminars and other continuing education programs as appropriate.
- Oversee the implementation of policies and procedures related to required teaching area.
- Participate in student recruitment efforts.
- Participate on college committees and in other institutional activities and programs
- Serve as liaison for the Health & Fitness Science Program with other health science programs, college departments, division, agencies, industries, organizations, and community partners
Other Important Functions:
- Ensure adherence to safe and appropriate work practices and procedures.
- Assess the relevance and impact of various lessons; revise and improve lesson format; evaluate various textbooks and select books to be used for future classes.
- Oversee and participate in field studies and assignments; travel with students to provide assistance and instruction as appropriate.
- Demonstrate community involvement.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Participate in development of extramural locations and coordinate assignment to these sites.
How to Apply
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- This position REQUIRES UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS AND/OR TRAINING CERTIFICATIONS be submitted in addition to the application. Please have these documents ready to upload when applying.
- Applicants who have obtained their education outside of the US and its territories must have their academic degree(s) validated, at their own expense, by an outside credential evaluation service as equivalent to the Baccalaureate or Master’s degree conferred by a regionally accredited college or university in the United States.
Cape Fear Community College offers a competitive benefit package to include affordable insurance, retirement, and many optional benefits to choose from. Our benefits aim to serve the needs of our full-time employees through comprehensive health, wellness, and retirement benefits. Visit our Benefits page for more information.
- State Health Plan
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Additional Supplemental Insurances
- Disability Plan
- NC Retirement Plan (TSERS)
- Leave (Vacation, Sick, FMLA, Civil and Military, and Voluntary Shared)
- Paid Holidays
- Credit for eligible Prior State Service
- Supplemental Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Longevity pay
HOW TO APPLY
Submit an Application through the Cape Fear Community College Careers page, along with a current resume, explanatory cover letter, and unofficial/official transcript documentation. This position REQUIRES UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS AND/OR TRAINING CERTIFICATIONS be submitted in addition to the application. Please have these documents ready to upload when applying.