Closes: Thursday, October 31, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree or Doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a Doctorate preferred.
- At least five years of appropriate and successful leadership experience required.
- The Gaston College Board of Trustees is currently accepting applications for the position of President of Gaston College. The position will remain open until filled; however, to ensure full consideration, application materials must be received no later than October 31, 2019.
- Those interested in applying should review the General Search Timeline, Presidential Prospectus, and Position Profile & Application Requirements available on the Presidential Search Webpage.
- The successful candidate will be required to reside full-time in Gaston or Lincoln County, North Carolina.
- The annual salary for the position of President is determined by the College's Board of Trustees per the salary schedule for presidents in the North Carolina Community College System. The salary schedule and corresponding Grade is based on a College's FTE Range. Gaston College is a Grade 2 with an Annual State Salary of $151,632. In addition to the Annual State Salary, the College's Board of Trustees may supplement this amount with local funds. For more information click on North Carolina Community College System 2018-19 State Aid Allocations and Budget Policies .
The President serves as the College's chief executive officer and reports to the Board of Trustees (the Board of Trustees may modify, add and/or delete duties). Provides leadership for the implementation of Board policies and corresponding organizational procedures to foster student learning and organizational success.
Executes all authority and duties in accordance with the laws of the State of North Carolina (G.S. 115D), the rules and regulations set forth by the North Carolina Community College System and State Board of Community Colleges, the Board of Trustees, and the College's policies and regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for broad decision-making with administrative authority and leadership responsibility for all aspects of the College programs including: instructional and student services; supervision and evaluation of all employees; planning and budgeting; technology; outreach and public relations; as well as coordination with the System Office.
- Keeps the Board of Trustees informed of important College matters.
- Prepares all recommendations/resolutions concerning the College and submits them to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Responsible for personnel decisions including hiring and dismissal.
- Responsible for maintaining the organizational structure of the College.
- Responsible for appointing committees as needed.
- Provides leadership for the planning and development of instructional and student services programs; fiscal management; human resource management; technology; facilities; and community and government relations.
- Provides leadership for institutional planning including development of the vision, mission, master plan, facilities plan, strategic plan, and budget.
- Establishes College goals in keeping with Board priorities. Ensures Board policies are reviewed, followed, and developed as needed to meet the needs of the College and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Informs the Board of Trustees on progress of meeting goals and priorities, including research and evaluation to support continual improvement of programs and services.
- Provides overall leadership for the College's accreditation process. Ensures the ongoing maintenance and oversight of the accreditation process.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and provides leadership as the College meets the educational needs of a diverse and changing community.
- Provides leadership to enhance the continued fiscal soundness of the College by maintaining and building the College's foundation by seeking and accepting donations, gifts, bequests, and similar contributions. Administers all contributions per the terms set forth, consistent with statutory provisions and regulations of the State Board of Community Colleges and ensures records are properly maintained.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws, policies, and regulations, including the timely filing of required reports; stays informed of laws that affect the College, anticipating how changes might impact the College.
- Advocates shared governance and promotes collegiality, faculty and staff cohesiveness, and respect among all the College constituencies.
- Represents the College to the community, promoting positive relationships and open communication with all constituencies; builds and strengthens cooperative partnerships with local schools, business, industry, and government to provide hands-on opportunities and internships; develops positive public relations.
- Provides leadership in working with business and industry.
- Provides the leadership necessary to encourage economic and workforce development within the community and develops the educational programs necessary to meet those challenges.
- Provides leadership and demonstrates fiscal responsibility in ongoing capital construction projects that meet the College's strategic plan.
- Represents the College to appropriate local, state, and federal agencies, exerting influence on community college policy development; provides for continued membership in relevant associations.
- Demonstrates the necessary leadership to show an ongoing commitment to effective enrollment management.
- Under emergency situations, acts as the primary authority to protect the safety and health of students and employees.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS REQUIREMENTS
- Generally works in a traditional climate-controlled office environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, position requires overtime and/or evening hours.
- Position requires in-state and out-of-state day and overnight travel mainly by automobile and/or air.
Job Post Contact