P.R.I.D.E Male Mentoring Program
Closes: Friday, January 3, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree in English, Science and/or Math, or related areas.
- Coursework and/or background in Mathematics, Science, or English in accordance with subject area.
- Experience tutoring, developmental and college level.
(Limited-time 2 year grant position. Reappointment contingent upon continued funding by the U. S. Department of Education Office of Post-Secondary Education). In support of the P.R.I.D.E. Program mission, Academic Enrichment Coaches (tutors) strive to meet the diverse needs of the community by providing high quality academic enrichment and tutorial services. Academic Enrichment Coaches assist students with challenging coursework and promote engagement, retention, graduation, and the importance of being able to compete in a globally competitive marketplace.
Academic Enrichment Coaches:
- Provide individual and small group tutoring.
- Assist, evaluate, motivate, develop and integrate students into the learning experience.
- Help students improve study skills, class room performance, grades, and course completion.
- Work with students to set performance goals, review class material, predict test questions, formulate ideas for papers and improve problem solving skills.
- Attend tutor training, train student tutors, maintain a weekly schedule, and keep accurate records of tutoring sessions.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people from varying educational, cultural, and social backgrounds.
- Work with academic department/facility to remain current with classroom instructional support needs, classroom performance, and strategies to improve student behavior, performance, and success.
- Participate in professional development activities to assist with understanding adult developmental needs and to remain abreast of best practices in tutoring.
- Expose students to digital software resources to supplement tutoring support.
- Provide tutoring support to distance and online learners.
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application or this will also result in an incomplete application. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Human Resources Director within (15) days upon hiring.
All applications must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.
To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.