- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master's degree required in the disciplinary field of Psychology, or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in Psychology from a regionally accredited institution; must be committed to the community college “open door” philosophy and adhere to research-based teaching practices that promote academic excellence in teaching and learning.
Two years of teaching experience in Psychology at a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college. Specific experience with online instruction, Blackboard, and educational technology is preferred. Experience working with the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
- The primary purpose and function of this position is to deliver instruction and support student success. Develop course syllabi, outlines, and lesson plans for curriculum courses assigned. Develop lectures, classroom activities, laboratory, hands-on exercises, and/or actual work site exercises for students to participate and learn. Monitor and record student progress in courses. Administer tests or other evaluation methods to students; grade and give feedback on exercises, homework assignments, and tests; and keep records of student attendance.
Examples of Duties
Teach assigned classes
- Create an effective learning environment
- Meet classes as assigned
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of the course
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security
- Maintain a minimum of five office hours per week to advise/assist students and no less than thirty-two hours per week on campus.
- Assist in ordering and inventory of departmental supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Assist the Learning Resource Center in selecting and maintaining a collection of books, periodicals, and audiovisual media.
- Complete and submit on time all required instructional and administrative reports and records.
- Assist in enforcement of policies and regulations applicable to students and initiate student alerts when necessary.
- Serve on various college committees.
- Serve as a representative of the College for special events.
- Participate in College events and activities.
- Serve as advisor to assigned students.
- Assist in registration and early registration.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Head, Division Chair, Dean of Curriculum Programs, and VP of Academic Affairs.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students
- Maintain current knowledge of programs, trends, and new developments in area of expertise.
- Ensure educational program quality by engaging in continuous improvement through assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Contribute to the College’s Quality Enhancement Plan.
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
All applications for this position must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit. Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.