Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
Closes: Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attend training sessions;
- Maintain a professional work ethic and dress;
- Meet with supervisor to set schedule as necessary;
- Show up for appointments and scheduled hours on time and as scheduled. If unable to work, the tutor should notify the student and supervisor ahead of time or as soon as possible after the related absence.
- Never discuss an instructor, staff member, or student in a negative way;
- Tutors should never do the work for the student. This includes homework, proofreading/editing, papers, and assignments of any kind. However, a tutor may model the correct way to do the work, provide samples, and offer suggestions.,
- It is very important that the tutors be trustworthy, and they must be responsible and professional when working with this information and students. Tutors should also have a positive attitude and knowledge of and enthusiasm for their discipline.
- Complete a JCC Employment Application along with supplemental Athletics tutoring application.
- Letters of recommendation from the instructor(s) in the subject area you desire to tutor.
Education Minimum: Currently in a college setting and have earned a "B" or higher in courses they wish to tutor, an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher and earned at least 30 credit hours.
Education Preferred: Associates degree and have earned a "B" or higher in courses they wish to tutor, an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Experience Minimum: A Letter of Recommendation from an Instructor in the given subject area you desire to tutor is required.
Experience Preferred: Previous experience working with student-athletes and Peer Tutors with past tutoring experience.
To provide positive, enriching, and inspiring academic support and encouragement to students beyond the classroom experience through individual and/or group tutoring.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Though each discipline has specific tutoring needs, some basic principles apply to all:
- Meet with students individually or in group to provide scheduled tutoring services.
- Discuss the goals and commitment of tutoring sessions with each student.
- Recognize success and identify ways to improve;
- Require students to actively participate in sessions;
- Explain, model, and offer academic assistance related to the subject or assignment;
- Offer suggestions for more effectively studying for or preparing assignments for the course;
- Use resources available through Athletics, Academic Skills Center, the LRC, and Online Tutoring
- Complete Tutoring Documentation Forms for each session;
- Follow up with tutees in a timely manner;
- Communicate with the Learning Strategies Specialist regarding issues, concerns, and suggestions;
- Other duties as necessary for effective tutoring as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the Athletics Director.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to read and interpret any pertinent course materials such as syllabi, course/homework instructions or any educational information that will assist in the student’s learning experience.
- Ability to write daily reports and email correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with students or employees of organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and be able to explain/interpret to students.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Email and basic use of Internet Browser Applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and use hands and fingers. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear and is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is not always quiet and therefore, each candidate should be able to maintain their duties without being distracted easily.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact