PT Business Administration - Tourism Instructor
Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, March 28, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree in Hospitality or Tourism or closely related field. Excellent human relations and communication skills are required.
Experience teaching Hospitality or Tourism concepts to students for two years or additional experience with Moodle course management software. Demonstrated skills and progressive responsibility in instruction and technology are needed. A Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality or Tourism or related field is preferred. Preferred skills are experience in teaching at the secondary level, knowledge of formative and summative assessment, instructional design, and strategic planning.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Primarily instruction and public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college’s commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty. Faculty members are responsible to the Dean. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, adviser, and facilitator of learning.
Hiring date is 8/14/2023 for Fall academic semester, teaching online courses. Pay is dependent on degree.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Maintain annually updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation.
- Prepare course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
- Conduct evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintain records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
- Responsible for the development and revision of course content, textbook/equipment selection, instructional materials and teaching assignments/scheduling.
- Responsible for administering student surveys in classes as prescribed by College procedure and discussing results with Department Chair or Program Manager.
- Work with students and employers in occupational settings, on-the-job training, practicums, internships and similar work-related situations as needed.
- Maintain professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations.
- Support and encourage college-sponsored activities.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
HCC Core Values Responsibilities
- Support: Providing a helpful and encouraging environment where exceptional learning and experiences can exist.
- Collaboration: Working together for a shared purpose by fostering positive and productive relationships with diverse populations throughout the college and our community.
- Excellence: Striving for the ongoing pursuit of the highest quality inside and outside the classroom.
- Integrity: Maintaining honest and open relationships, utilizing strong ethical principles, in everything we do.
- Creativity: Encouraging thinking and exploring beyond the bounds of traditional ideas.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.