Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, July 16, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each specific duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the specific functions.
Education Minimum: Master's degree required in ASL, Deaf Education, ASL Linguistics, or Deaf Studies, or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in ASL related course work.
Education Preferred: Master's degree required in ASL, Deaf Education, ASL Linguistics, or Deaf Studies, or Master's degree with 18 graduate hours in ASL related course work. Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) certification preferred
Experience Minimum: One year teaching experience.
Experience Preferred: Two to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college. Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred.
Adjunct faculty are professionals with the responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for Johnston Community College students on a semester basis. Adjunct faculty report to a Department Chair and/or Associate Vice President and perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies and procedures of the college. The categories listed below constitute the expectations for the adjunct faculty member. These responsibilities will be assessed utilizing student evaluations and classroom observations by the supervisor.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with your Associate Vice President and/or Department Chair and established course model syllabus/syllabi. Provide a high quality learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college.
Specific responsibilities of adjunct curriculum instructors include:
- Teach assigned classes.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance
levels of the course.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good
housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet
deadlines as required.
- Submit required reports.
- Participate in the college's assessment process, if required.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Other duties of assigned.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percentages and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) certification preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact