Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, August 10, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each specific duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the specific functions.
Education Minimum: Master's degree required in Chemistry or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Chemistry related course work.
Education Preferred: Master's degree required in Chemistry or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Chemistry related course work.
Experience Minimum: One year teaching experience.
Experience Preferred: Two to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college. Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred.
Part-time faculty are professionals with the responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for Johnston Community College students on a semester basis. Part-time faculty report to a department chair and/or director and perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies and procedures of the college. The categories listed below constitute the expectations for the part-time faculty member. These responsibilities will be assessed utilizing student evaluations and classroom observations by the supervisor. This position requires on campus instruction.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with your Department Chair and/or Associate Vice President and established course model syllabus/syllabi. Provide a high quality learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college.
- Teach assigned classes.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the student learning outcomes and performance levels of the course.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit required reports.
- Participate in the college’s assessment process, if required.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach.
- Ability to plan, organize and deploy quality college level instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, individual initiative, independent actions within a professional environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percentages and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact