Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate degree in Cosmetology. Must possess a current license from the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetology (NCSBC) as a cosmetologist and a North Carolina State Board of Cosmetology Instructor License. Demonstrate an understanding of commitment to open-access community college philosophy, diversity issues and instructional technology.
The ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms. Must possess the skills necessary to effectively demonstrate cosmetology techniques to students. Previous post-secondary teaching experience and a background in the community college system
Meet all minimum requirements plus past experience with teaching within community college.
Primarily instruction and public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college's commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty; maintaining professional competence.
Teaches Cosmetology to community college and high school students during academic semesters.
Faculty members are responsible to a dean or program manager. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, advisor and facilitator of learning.
- Teaches Cosmetology to community college and high school students
- Keeps shop environment clean and continuously improve the educational environment
- Organizes shop area, office and classroom for a professional environment
- Maintains annually updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation
- Prepares course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
- Conducts evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintains records of student's attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
- Maintains posted office hours as required by College policy and procedure can be available for student conferences and tutoring
- Responsible for administering student surveys in the classes as prescribed by College procedure and discussing results with dean
- Maintains professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations
- Donates academic expertise in the local, state or national community when appropriate to fulfill the community relations goals of the College
- Supports and encourages college-sponsored activities
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
- Create a client/student-centered environment
- Work toward operational excellence
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of clients and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and our community
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision, and values and promote and support coworkers in the most positive manner.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.