On & Offsite JCC Campus Locations - NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, November 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate’s degree in education, foreign language, linguistics or similar field.
Education Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in education, foreign language, linguistics or similar field. TEFL, TESL, TESOL, or Interpreter certification(s).
Experience Minimum: ESL teaching experience in a postsecondary environment. Experience coordinating and implementing marketing/advertising efforts for educational events within a community.
Experience Preferred: Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology. Experience working with the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students. Certification and experience with the standardized test CASAS.
Provide instruction in assigned class(es) in coordination with Department Chair of Academic and Career Readiness and established course model syllabus/syllabi. Create a learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned classes – day and evening as needed
- Coordinate the development of academic programming in ESL to meet the diverse needs of the student population
- Ensure ESL students are meeting performance gains through pre and post testing on a standardized exam (CASAS)
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students in accordance with Basic Skills policies and procedures
- Coordinate and implement marketing events throughout the local community to promote and recruit ESL classes/students
- Monitor ESL classes to ensure proper recruitment and retention of students
- Serve as an academic advisor to students
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
- Complete training sessions and professional development activities as required by the NCCCS and the college
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality educational programs
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions, and sound judgment
- Perform other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Bilingual – Spanish & English – preferred.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percent and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, Power Point, Excel, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact