Main Campus, Smithfield, NC
Closes: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Individual must be able to work independently with minimum supervision and possess creative problem solving skills and strong written and verbal communication skills. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate's Degree
Experience Minimum: Three years of community college experience.
The Health Science Student Navigator is responsible for assisting applicants and students with the competitive admission process within the Health, Wellness, & Human Services Department. The Student Navigator will also assist students with exploring and understanding health science careers, identifying barriers that may impede academic achievement, and providing students with available college and community resources.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Work with applicants to assist them through the steps of the health program's competitive admission process
- Collaborate with Health, Wellness, & Human Services program faculty to assist students in goal attainment
- Assist with new student program orientations
- Attend health programs' admission and department meetings as needed
- Contact students coded in the pre- health programs to provide assistance with processes and program selection
- Attend recruiting activities and information sessions within the Health, Wellness, & Human Services Department
- Work with students in identifying barriers and understanding health careers and options available
- Collaborate with campus departments/divisions to facilitate student support services are provided to promote student achievement
- Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point and College Systems.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact