- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, November 16, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Arts, Adult Education or a related field.
Education Preferred: Master's Degree in Adult Education or related field.
Experience Minimum: Two (2) years of teaching experience in a postsecondary environment at a community college setting or two (2) years of experience working with adults in a corporate training environment.
Experience Preferred: Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred.
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to increase the educational level of students through instruction in Adult Basic Education, Adult Secondary Education/ High School Equivalency, English as a Second Language, and/or RISE Transition courses. The position is responsible for teaching classes and instructing, preparing lesson plans and comprehending assessments in all areas of job search preparation and retention. Knowledge in job readiness, basic computer operations, money management and community resources are preferred. Daytime and evening flexibility required. Perform related work as required.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide quality instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Create an effective learning environment using innovative teaching techniques Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Provide contextualized instruction to include technology and job employability skills.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with in accordance with college and NC Standard course of study.
- Use results of diagnostic tools (TABE/ Casas) to develop a customized plan of instruction for each student.
- Serve as an academic advisor to students.
- Maintain accurate records and submit required reports in a timely manner.
- Support and participate in special events i.e. graduation, re-entry, recruitment.
- Participate in the college's assessment process.
- Participate in departmental recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Ability to read and comprehend written material
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percents and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision- making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety requires all persons that enter the prison to be completely vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required for employment.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact