Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr., Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, July 10, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- A minimum of 2 years related work experience in Horticulture and/or Greenhouse Production.
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Ability to provide guidance and advice regarding plant maintenance procedures, including integrated pest management programs, pest scouting and determination of appropriate biological and chemical pest control measures, and direct potting mix preparation.
· Experience monitoring of greenhouse environment including heating, cooling, ventilating and lighting
· Proven evidence of leadership ability, supervisory experience and commitment to teamwork
· Strong computer skills and commitment to the use of technology in instruction
· Ability to work effectively and collegially with others in a team environment
· Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college
· Associates Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Horticulture, Agri-business, Greenhouse Production or a related field
· Familiarity with plumbing and electrical control systems related to greenhouse operations. Aptitude for using mechanical devices
· A minimum of 1 year of prior teaching experience in a classroom/lab setting
· Proven experience in mentoring
· Prior teaching experience in a community college
. Current NC Pesticide License
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Provide instruction for a variety of horticulture and landscape classes.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Teaches assigned courses to meet program needs
- Evaluates student progress and provides appropriate feedback
- Prepare lesson plans, course overviews, and course syllabi
- Uses and promotes appropriate technology to enhance student learning outcomes
- Plan classes
- Maintain equipment and ensure proper storage and security of supplies
- Ability to provide guidance and advice regarding plant maintenance procedures, including integrated pest management programs, pest scouting and determination of appropriate biological and chemical pest control measures, and direct potting mix preparation
- Monitoring of greenhouse environment including heating, cooling, ventilating and lighting
- Determines need for supplies; ensure proper storage
- Maintains cleanliness of class/grounds/lab area
- Assists in the evaluation of courses and programs
- Prepares and submits attendance records, reports, and grades established by institutional policy
- Performs other tasks as assigned which support the mission and initiatives of the College
Other essential responsibilities
· Effectiveness in the following College organizational competencies:
- Translating College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action
- Collaborating and facilitating
- Creating and innovating
- Anticipating and responding to change
- Providing vision and leadership
- Assessment of student learning
- Engagement and assessment of successful student retention models
How to Apply
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- Application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president for full hire approval.
HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.