Main Campus, Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Associate's Degree in Information Technology or a computer science-related field. Required knowledge includes networking infrastructure, operating systems, servers and hardware installation, as well as a working knowledge of Windows, Mac OS and iOS, and Linux operating systems.
Education Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or a computer science-related field.
Experience Minimum: Two (2) years experience in the IT field. Some experience teaching college level IT classes or equivalent experience in the field.
Experience Preferred: Three (3) years practical work experience as well as at least one year of college teaching experience.
The purpose of this position is to provide a comprehensive information technology program to students from various ages and levels of computer operation knowledge to include both the employed, unemployed, and underemployed populations enrolled throughout the on-campus and off-campus sites of JCC. Possible areas covered include, but are not limited to, the information processing cycle, operating systems (client- and server-side), security, and programming concepts. Candidate must be able to not only teach theory and concepts, but must also be able to apply them in a lab environment. Candidate must also participate in continual maintenance of networking equipment, operating systems, and servers to support classroom environment. Candidate will be able to advance through several software applications from a beginning level to a more complex level and must have a teaching-level understanding of each program. Classes are taught in the classroom in a seated environment and are supplemented with online content and labs. This position is for day and/or evening classes.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach classes and instructs; conduct learning activities
- Prepare lesson activities; prepare and oversee projects with oversight from lead instructor
- Evaluate students' class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations
- Maintain cleanliness of class/labs area
- Maintain security of tools and equipment
- Maintain lab infrastructure as required
- Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percentages and decimals
- Knowledge of number systems (binary, octal, and hexadecimal) and how to subnet in both IP(v4) and IPv6
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems: Microsoft® Windows™ 7, 8.1, 10; Windows Server™ 2012R2, 2016. MacOS X.11 and X.12 (Sierra, El Capitán); Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7; Ubuntu
- Knowledge of Computer Hardware (equivalent to CompTIA A+) consistent to build and troubleshoot
The physical demands include the mounting equipment (weighing less than 50 pounds) and/or computer components/laptops.
The position has responsibilities in classroom and laboratory environments. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact