Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, October 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Maintain supervision, direction, and instruction of students in the classroom environment and clinic/lab areas. Must be able to work directly with the public effectively for services provided in Salon practicum. Instructor must be aware of the institutional passing rate of first-time test-takers on state mandated exam. Requires the ability to use, operate, and/or a variety of office and salon equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: High School education or GED, Applicant must hold a current North Carolina license in either Cosmetology or Nail Technology and in addition, must hold a current North Carolina instructor’s license for either Cosmetology or Nail Technology.
Experience Minimum: Five (5) years of salon experience.
Experience Preferred: Two (2) years of teaching experience preferred.
Must be able to explain and teach community college students from various backgrounds, cultures, ages, and experience levels and provide comprehensive manicuring instruction in theories and technical applications. Includes instruction in manicuring theory; skin an atomy; nail growth, irregularities, and diseases; sterilization and sanitation; equipment and table maintenance; cuticle, blemish, and rough skin removal; nail filing, shaping, and polishing; cream application and extremity massage; nail sculpture and design art; product storage and use; customer service; laws and regulations; and business practices. The position involves teaching and evaluating students in concepts and salon procedures as well as performing related work as required.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ability to teach assigned nail technology classes both lecture and demonstration in accordance with NC State Board of Cosmetic Arts standards.
- Teaches nail sciences, basic and advanced manicuring, pedicure, nail enhancements, nail art, and state board preparation for nails.
- Provides continuous evaluation on an ongoing basis to students offering constructive feedback to students to help them improve; implements the policies and procedures in place for the school.
- Ability to plan, organize and communicate quality instruction.
- Maintains safe and sanitary practices to be followed by all students, instructors, and internal and external guests.
- Ability to teach all levels of student abilities and adjusting subject matter as required.
- Prepare lesson plans and activities; Administer text material exams and NC State Board mock examinations.
- Maintain student attendance records and NC State Board required records.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Requires the ability to perform all basic math functions, as well as ability to average all units of measure and calculate decimals and percentages.
- Must be able to provide accurate data for Cosmetology department, NC State Board, and college records.
- Requires the ability to apply principles, such as motivation, professionalism, and leadership.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills.
A complete knowledge of computer technology as used in an educational environment is required. (Microsoft, Blackboard, Webadvisor, Discovery Pro Cosmetology Software, etc.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact