On and Offsite JCC Campus Locations, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each specific duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the specific functions.
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach.
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality educational programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions, and sound judgment.
Education Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in liberal arts, criminal justice, adult education, or related field.
Education Preferred: Master's Degree in adult education, criminal justice, or related field.
Experience Minimum: Two years of teaching experience or, two years of experience working with adults in a correctional institution environment.
Experience Preferred: Two years of teaching experience at a Community College.
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to increase the educational level of adults through instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies and communication skills. The position is responsible for teaching classes (day and evening as needed); preparing lesson plans; preparing tests; grading papers; and counseling/advising students.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach assigned classes.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Serve as an academic advisor to student.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit required reports.
- Participate in the college's assessment process.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Language Skills: Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
- Ability to compute fractions, percentages, and decimals.
- Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, and Blackboard.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact