Main Campus - Smithfield, NC
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Minimum: Master’s degree in Education/Teaching or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in discipline with NC teaching license
Experience Minimum: Three (3) years of practical experience in the field of teacher education (K-12), as a teacher or administrator. Curriculum development and course assessment experience.
Experience Preferred: One (1) or more years teaching in a post-secondary environment and specific experience with online course development and instruction as well as educational technology.
Part-time faculty are professionals with the responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for Johnston Community College students on a semester basis. Part-time faculty report to a department chair and/or director and perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies and procedures of the college. The categories listed below constitute the expectations for the part-time faculty member. These responsibilities will be assessed utilizing student evaluations and classroom observations by the supervisor. This position requires on campus instruction.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Teach assigned classes.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Counsel students regarding their grades and progress in the course in a professional and timely manner.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit required reports.
- Participate in the college's assessment process, if needed.
- Fulfill all contract provisions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach.
- Remain current on local and state trends, learning standards, and Department of Public Instruction regulations.
- Ability to plan, organize and instruct quality collegiate courses.
- Ability to communicate effectively with learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
- Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent actions, and sound judgment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure. Ability to compute fractions, percentages, and decimals.
Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in a Microsoft Windows environment and have knowledge of email systems, PowerPoint, LMS (Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas) and online lab environments.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: NC Teaching Licensure
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact