Closes: Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree in business, office administration, or related field.
- Five years of related experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- Experience in the North Carolina Community College System.
- Knowledge of applicable, Local, State, and Federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of police radio 10-codes and phonetic alphabet.
- Knowledge of applicable computer programs and equipment.
- Knowledge of alarm, radio, and police and security system equipment.
- Knowledge of deaf and hearing-impaired telephone equipment.
- Knowledge of requirements for accessing confidential information from local, state, and national databases.
The Office of Public Safety Office Coordinator and Telecommunicator position, under supervision by the Chief of Police, performs office administrative and telecommunication duties in support of campus police and security operations; receives various security-related campus information by telephone, radio and/or other sources; contacts and dispatches campus police and security personnel to campus areas; contacts outside agencies when needed; provides information to students, staff, visitors and outside agencies as needed; performs a variety of office administrative duties; and performs related work as assigned. Persons in this position perform both routine and complex dispatching and office managerial duties in support of campus police and security operations. This position reports directly to the campus Chief of Police.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Receives information regarding campus police and security issues by telephone, radio or other sources; notifies and dispatches campus policy and police and security officers to campus locations as needed.
- Monitors emergency calls; contacts outside agencies and alerts appropriate personnel as necessary.
- Answers multiple non-emergency lines and calls for assistance; provides routine information to the public; screens and directs calls to other staff.
- Enters campus police and security incident data into an automated record management system; and prepares other reports as directed by the Chief of Police.
- Acts as the receptionist for the campus police and security office, greets students, faculty and visitors and provides assistance as needed.
- Performs daily reviews of reports completed by the campus police and security divisions.
- Performs reviews of all mandated reporting, including but not limited to Clery Act, Dep’t of Education, SBI, Risk Management, Human Resources, Timely Warnings.
- Provides copies of reports requested by the public.
- Serves as an information resource regarding the college parking program; assists students, staff and the public in the interpretation and completion of parking and citation-related forms.
- Handles complaints effectively and courteously in person and on the telephone.
- Conducts various transactions with students, staff, vendors and the general public in matters requiring a detailed knowledge of college police and security policies, procedures, rules, regulations and activities, particularly related to areas of assignment.
- Coordinates the issuance of ID cards for students and employees. Works with Student Services and HR to verify status of person before issuance.
- Ensures paperwork is up to date for both Evidence Control and Lost and Found. This includes completing chain of custody for lost and found and attempting to locate the rightful owner of lost property.
- Works with the Director of Professional Development to make sure all security officers are up to date with training requirements.
- Works with the Director of Professional Development to ensure that any OSHA mandated training is completed for employees of VGCC.
- Monitors video surveillance systems and Emergency Notification Systems. Monitors and responds to Panic Alert notifications sent through campus IP phones.
- Performs general clerical and office work, including typing, proofreading, filing, checking and recording information.
- Maintains calendar for campus Chief of Police by planning and scheduling meetings and resolving scheduling conflicts.
- Makes travel arrangements and completes required forms.
- Enters and retrieves data using Datatel as needed.
- Files and retrieves electronic and hard copy documents and reference materials.
- Prepares reports by researching, collecting, and analyzing information.
- Monitors, screens, and distributes incoming mail.
- Maintains confidence by keeping information confidential.
- Coordinates meetings and records, transcribes, and distributes minutes.
- Maintains office supplies inventory to include anticipating needed supplies, evaluating new office products, placing orders using E-Procurement, and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Ensures operation of office equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, and maintaining equipment supplies inventory.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Reviews office procedures and recommend improvements when necessary.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Identifying and anticipating environmental health and safety concerns by inspecting environmental, operational, and occupational conditions, investigating violations, and developing and recommending safety policies and programs.
- Enforcing college-wide safety policies in accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, including working with Human Resources in the preparation and submission of required OSHA and other federal and state reporting requirements as needed.
- Collaborates with Campus Police Chief in maintaining and updating various College safety and emergency plans, including building evacuation, exposure control, chemical hygiene, and hazard communication.
- Coordinating multi-campus hazardous and infectious waste disposition in accordance with local, state and federal regulations, including spill remediation.
- Maintaining and enforcing the data compliance for hazardous materials, blood-borne pathogens and Chemical Hygiene, including SDS (Safety Data Sheets) for all chemicals stored on campuses.
- Serving as the primary liaison for the College in facilitating the annual safety inspections with Blue Ridge Environmental Health and Safety Institute (EHSI), including follow up and corrective action of inspection findings as it relates to fume hood and eye wash station testing, and proper storage of chemicals.
- Developing and facilitating ongoing environmental health and safety training opportunities for college-wide faculty and staff.
- Participating in OSHA training classes and other professional development opportunities as needed in order to ensure compliance with federal, state and local safety regulations.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact