- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, October 29, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Individual must have a master’s degree in biology and/or chemistry. Successful teaching experience in the fields of biology and/or chemistry is required.
Master’s in either biology or chemistry with 18 graduate hours in the other preferred. Previous community college experience is preferred. Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
Instructors are responsible for providing quality, engaging, and college-level instruction in their specific field/discipline. Instruction should focus on student success and retention using various teaching strategies and delivery methods. Additionally, faculty are responsible for participating in professional development and promoting the College’s mission and vision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Assume responsibility for teaching assignments as recommended by the department director and approved by the dean.
- Facilitate the learning process by designing and implementing instructional activities that are appropriate and meaningful.
- Keep abreast of current technology; incorporate latest instructional technologies and interactive learning technologies in course delivery.
- Possess the knowledge, skills and experience to provide effective instruction in concepts and principles as they relate to the fields of biology and chemistry.
- Develop/revise, prepare and teach biology and chemistry classes.
- Provide students detailed feedback and guidance to improve performance.
- Adhere to departmental course guidelines and ensure that content covers SACSCOC approved competencies.
- Develop and maintain student learning outcomes for each instructional area.
- Fulfill the duties of an instructor in supervision of students as applicable, and maintain a clean, safe, and efficient classroom and lab.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining all required college records, including attendance and grade reports, roll books, etc.
- Evaluate student performance using methods appropriate to the course.
- Maintain, review, and update syllabi and develop new courses as necessary.
- Make recommendations to directors and deans for selection of supplies, equipment, equipment repairs, textbooks for courses and the scheduling of classrooms.
- Participate in departmental activities relative to revising and updating the program(s) in the area of expertise.
- Assist with the development of new programs in the area of expertise.
- Use the college’s student information system and college approved retention software to assist and retain students.
- Maintain current professional credentials required for the position.
- Provide quality service to students, faculty and staff.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Principles and practices of computers and related software
Assigned program and activities
Community organizations, public agencies, and other resources for assigned programs and activities.
Educational tools, assessments, and other methods for the assigned programs and activities.
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Operate a computer and related software
Teach day, night, online, and seated classes
Maintain effective working relationships with others
Maintain a professional attitude towards students
Meet deadlines, plan classes effectively, and act as role model to students
Engage students in activities related to the disciplines
Be detail oriented, thorough, and dedicated to the students and the institution
Understand and coordinate efforts with a wide range of organizations and special populations