Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721. This position will provide duty coverage at other campus locations located within the Haywood County service area.
Closes: Friday, May 29, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum requirements for consideration
High School diploma or equivalent with 1-3 years of security experience. Working knowledge of customer security requirements and incident investigation. Working knowledge of customer service practices and principles. Demonstrated skills in the use of security vehicles, communication equipment, alarm systems, and other types of security equipment. Demonstrated ability to follow oral and written instructions, meet physical demands of the position, to react appropriately in routine and emergency situations, to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a diverse population, to gather information and write factual reports, and to explain and ensure compliance with Federal, State, Local and HCC policies, rules, and regulations. Must be proficient in developing records systems, reports, and secure system processing requirements. Microsoft Office proficiency with Word, Access and proprietary databases.
Meet minimum requirements and hold Basic Law Enforcement Certificate, and 1-3 years of experience as a law enforcement officer.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
* This position hire is subject to budget approval *
Assist in supporting and promoting security/safety at all Haywood Community College locations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Assist with emergency drills and workshops to ensure a safe working and educational environment for students, employees, and visitors.
- Provide security for students, faculty and staff in a professional, courteous manner through proactive foot and vehicle patrols, positive community engagement, and use of modern crime prevention techniques.
- Responsible for the opening and closing of buildings; patrolling campus buildings and grounds; enforcing campus safety and security regulations; and inspecting designated areas on a routine basis.
- Maintain order and uphold the image and respect of the department and the College through enforcement of College policies and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain quality customer service and practice effective interpersonal communication skills while utilizing conflict resolution methods.
- Observe, accurately report and follow up on incidents which may include but are not limited to first aid, life safety, and internal theft.
- Shift flexibility when needed. Flexibility to include possibility of Day shift, Night shift, or swing shift.
- Assist in performing routine drills as prescribed.
- Respond to reports from faculty, staff, and students of unsafe and/or hazardous areas and conditions.
- Make sound decisions during emergency situations based on the College's policies and procedures.
- Communicate with local law enforcement/emergency responders as needed.
- Ensure students, employees, vendors, and visitors follow safety and security related policies and procedures.
- Enter information into Maxient and/or other related security software programs.
- Maintain reports and logs and other duties as required
Implement HCC Core Values
- Strive to improve self and department through continuous learning and team work
- Create a student-centered environment
- Work toward operational excellence; continuous improvement of processes
- Participate in developing innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Interact with co-workers and perform tasks with the highest level of integrity
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and the community
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision, and values.
- Promote and support coworkers in a positive manner.
HCC ELI (Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative) Responsibilities
- Implement a team approach in the performance of tasks; work with others to analyze a situation, establish priorities, and apply resources for solving a problem or accomplishing a task
- Accept responsibility for job performance and assigned tasks; exhibit individual behaviors that support the official goals and objectives of the college and its members
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff in a professional and timely manner
- Approach problems as a learning opportunity and implement strategies to reduce problems
- Maximize resources to process information; acquire, evaluate, organize, manage, interpret, and communicate information to coworkers, faculty, staff, and students
- Exhibit flexibility and receptivity to changing technologies, methods, processes, work environments, and organizational structure and practices
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
Application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume.
Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.
APPLICATION REVIEWS BEGIN January 24, 2020. Position opened until filled.