Closes: Friday, August 16, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- BS Degree in Accounting or a similar field; or AAS Degree in Accounting or a similar field with a minimum of five years accounting experience.
- Competent in use of Excel and Word.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague software or integrated accounting software.
- Knowledge of current state and federal grant laws.
- Strong computer technology and office skills.
- Community College experience
- Grant monitoring experience
- Ellucian Colleague experience
The Business Office supports the College's mission by providing our students, faculty, and customers with prompt responses to inquiries and supplying instruction and oversight of the College's general accounting functions; and, facilitate the optimal use of College financial resources in order to achieve the goals outlined in the College's strategic plan and to facilitate the budgeting, reporting and analysis of such resources.
Examples of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for maintaining the general ledger from all grant sources including posting of journal entries, analysis of accounts, and monthly reporting of account balances. The position is responsible for the timely submission of required reporting of financial information for institutional funds, including all grants. This person is responsible for the request and receipt of grant funds, including federal grant funds through G5. This position is approximately funded 50% through grant funds.
The Senior Accountant will:
- maintain the general ledger with regards to all grants (including federal, state, local, etc.) including preparation of journal entries with supporting analysis and documentation;
- complete monthly reconciliations for all grant accounts and submit required monthly reports timely;
- responsible for federal draw downs and reconciliation of G5 federal grant funds;
- responsible for monitoring all grant budgets and providing monthly departmental budget reports;
- responsible for maintaining construction accounts and filing monthly Cash Flow Model with NCCCS;
- assist the Controller with the year-end process and gathering of information for preparation of the annual financial statements;
- process positive pay for State Funds;
- cross train in Controller functions;
- work closely with other members of the College to maintain the accreditation standards with the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools (SACS) and other program accrediting bodies;
- perform other duties as assigned by the Controller and the Vice President of Administrative Services.
How to Apply
MUST READ Special Instructions and Additional Information to Applicants:
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application or this will also result in an incomplete application. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Human Resources Director within (15) days upon hiring.
All applications must be submitted directly via our online application system at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/halifaxcc. Applications submitted through third party sites will not be accepted. Application packets for employment must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of state applications. "See Attached Resume", etc. will result in an incomplete application. Resumes, cover letters, and all transcripts listed on application must be uploaded with your application.
To receive credit, all relevant experience must be included in the work history section of the application. Any information omitted from the application but included in the resume will not be considered for qualifying credit.
Persons eligible for Veteran's Preference must submit a copy of Form DD-214.