Closes: Monday, August 15, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of general ledger accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, or related field, and 1 to 3 years of general ledger accounting experience, or current academic studies progressing towards the attainment of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the above related fields of study.
- Working knowledge in GAAP and GASB as well as governmental accounting practice.
- Working knowledge in the operations, services, and activities of payroll processing.
- Working knowledge in current IRS non-profit laws as they relate to functions, programs, and services of the Foundation’s financial and fundraising activities.
- Previous experience with using Datatel (Colleague) software program.
Under general supervision, an employee in this position has supervisory oversight and responsibility for the financial accounting of accounts payable, payroll, and Foundation operations and activities of the College. Duties related to this position focus on performing detail-oriented accounting work involving the classifying, posting, balancing, reconciling and summarizing of financial transactions. Duties assigned may vary according to the specific needs of the Division and/or allocation of workload. This position supervises a staff of three employees within the Finance and Business Services Department of the College, and reports to the Associate Vice President of Finance.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Maintain a system of financial accounting, reporting, and record keeping in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Oversee the financial accounting of accounts payable, payroll, and Foundation operations and activities of the College, including the supervision, training, and evaluation of three staff members.
- Prepare and process reimbursement requests for third party vendors and grantors.
- Collaborate and assist Accounts Payable with the annual processing of 1099 tax forms for the College.
- Collaborate and assist the Foundation Office with the annual processing of 1099 tax forms for the Foundation.
- Process monthly Sales & Use Tax to the NC Department of Revenue (NCDOR) for the College, and verify the processing of quarterly Sales & Use Tax to the NCDOR for the Foundation and the semi-annual sales tax receivable for the Foundation by the Accounting Technician.
- Perform the monthly 112 budget and expense verification reporting, including the balancing and reporting for Institutional, County, and State accounts, maintaining of cash books, and the performing of state cash and payroll certification journal entries.
- Verify the maintenance and submission of required escheat/abandoned property reporting to the NC State Treasurer by the Accounting Technician.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for the Institutional, County, and State Disbursing accounts, and verify the monthly reconciliations for the Payroll Clearing, Federal, Satellite Campuses, and Merchant accounts by the Accounting Technician.
- Collaborate and assist the Purchasing Agent with the monthly reconciliation of procurement card transactions, including the preparation of check requests and journal entries as needed.
- Collaborate and assist the Payroll Specialist in the accurate and timely processing of payroll for full- and part-time employees, and serve as backup in the carrying out of essential payroll processes in the absence of the Payroll Specialist.
- Collaborate with the Accounts Payable Coordinator and Accounting Technician in the accurate and timely processing of College and Foundation accounts payable, including the verification of accounts payable runs, maintenance of W-9 forms, and the processing of employee travel reimbursements.
- Perform monthly journal entries to allocate and post plant operation maintenance costs to satellite campuses.
- Perform monthly journal entries to post automatic draft payments from utility companies.
- Perform monthly credit card fee allocations for Official Payments, Suntrust, Nelnet, and Authroize.Net.
- Perform monthly budget and journal entries to post fund authorizations, administrative allowances, and salary allocations for the Customized Training program.
- Perform the quarterly reporting on Foreign Nationals, and assist the Controller with the annual filing.
- Serve as backup to the Controller in the positive pay process for the Institutional, County, and State bank accounts.
- Verify and post all Foundation daily cash receipts, and submit daily deposits as needed.
- Maintain all Foundation constituent and organizational files in Blackbaud.
- Develop and maintain written operational policies and procedures addressing the accounting, financial, and gift receipting functions of the Foundation.
- Serve as the Finance and Business Services Department liaison to the Office of the Executive Director of the Foundation.
- Assist the Controller with the annual audit of the Foundation.
- Reconcile the Investment and Short-Term Investment Fund (STIF) accounts for the College and the Foundation.
- Collaborate and assist the Foundation Office in the generating and distribution of annual contribution statements for Foundation donors.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for key job functions in the financial accounting of accounts payable, payroll, and Foundation operations and activities of the College.
- Conduct cross-training of team members in key job functions to ensure, effective, efficient, and uninterrupted accounting service and support.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including project and committee work.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact