- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop appropriate course goals and objectives along with evaluation methods that accurately measure student learning.
- Be thoroughly prepared for each instructional responsibility including lecture and lab.
- Maintain an up-to-date syllabus for each course.
- Conduct class and lab activities that are consistent with course objectives.
- Work with Division Dean to order needed equipment and supplies.
- Be available to students outside of class time through e-mail, telephone, and individual meetings as needed.
- Accurately complete and submit all required reports and student records by stated deadlines and return all College materials and grade books at the end of each semester.
- Attend any required faculty, division, or departmental meetings.
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff and students in a congenial and professional manner.
- Comply with College policies and procedures.
- Remain current in the field of study.
- Communicate effectively.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the subject(s) taught.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize courses; use a variety of teaching and learning strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure student success; utilize effective classroom management skills; and employ effective and appropriate evaluations of student performance.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of campus services for appropriate referral.
- Ability to use instructional technology effectively.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to open-access community college philosophy, diversity and inclusion, and adult learning principles.
- Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to the unique nature and role of the College as a learning-centered institution.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Master's degree in Sociology preferred or master’s degree in related field with 18 graduate hours in Sociology.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching in a community college setting is a plus.
Standard classroom environment, usually indoors, away from elements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to maintain a stationary position; move about the classroom, operate and position tools or controls; and frequently communicate with students. The employee may occasionally move up to 15 pounds.
This is a part time position. Classes meet during the day and/or evening at the Statesville Campus, Mooresville Campus, and/or our Early College campuses. Classes also taught online.
Local travel is required, including between campus locations.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Christina Sharkey, Human Resources Assistant
Mitchell Community College
500 W. Broad Street, Statesville, NC 28677